• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Greetings Friends, I will be fishing on the Vermilion River this summer out of Gold Mine camp. Can anybody give me any info on fishing the river? What kind of fish will be active in July? Any suggestions on lure, bait, etc? I would appreciate any advice! Thanks

...the walleyes will like jigs ..cranks and slip bobber set ups...leeches...crawlers and minnows will be what you need to take in there with you...the pike will hit anything you can throw drag,or drown....smallie fishing should be good also.....hope that the water is at a normal level...dont want it to high..it needs to be a "lazy" river...there are also many deeper holes up that way...fish in them and around them....sorry to say..be prepared for bugs...but its a remote and scenic river with alot of wildlife and some huge snappers....good luck and have fun..

I haven’t been up in awhile but my recollection:

Pike are always active. Troll the weed lines with spoons, Rapala’s/Raps, Spinner baits, live bait lindy rigs, etc. I’ve seen some nice Pike taken out of some of the side channels (look for wild rice points with lily pads on the I/S). They’re usually caught with suckers and a big bobber.

Down stream towards the falls, there’s a good hole pretty close to the falls (vertical rock face) that will hold Smallies and Walleye’s. Jigs w/ leeches or crawlers work well. I’ve had success with Lazy Ike’s as well.

Upstream, the Horse Shoe is productive, there’s a shallow rocky bottom area just after the Horseshoe (If memory serves or it may be closer to the picnic table) that’s a good spot to hit.

Keep an eye out for rock points and holes, there are plenty and they can produce.

hoosierfisherman have you ever been there before?(gold mine)i'm going 4th of july week for the first time and was wandering if you or anyone would know about what kind of tackle to bring for fishing(any fish but mainly smallie's and northern's)any suggestion's would help.

give me a call and i can fill you in....but spoons are real good for pike...and really anything in bass lures will get it done.....soon the rods shall bend!!!

I have not been up to the river before. I have fish the Big V (and love it), but I wanted to try something different this year. So, like you, I am a first-timer. I am just trying to gather all the info. I can so we will be successful on our trip. Thanks for you interest.

dont get me wrong....but have i not responded to your post...and i dont want to guide on the river anymore....its the most basic and easiest fishing you can find....anyway.....the rods will soon bend!!!!