Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Chemist

Borch - Borchawk ????????

2 posts in this topic

Hey you guys, I was wondering what type of reels that you use when you are out running out on the lake? Does it make sense to have a bait caster w/ a line counter? Also what is you preferred choice to run at the end.

I really prefer a good baitcaster for trolling cranks, I don't use a linecounter but they are a good thing to have. I use a lot of the ambassader reels. Good tough reels with good drags. I've just adapted over the years of trolling cranks by counting rods sweeps or layers off the spool. Another trick is to put a bobber stop at 100 ft and you can adjust a little shorter or lonfer from there.

I like fireline or power pro for line. Especially when fishing the weeds. Gives you good feel plus you can easily snap off weeds you snag.

For lures on Rice I like shad raps of various models and size because of the vibration they give off. Changes in vibration mean I've picked up some weeds. I also use the lipless cranks when the water warms up a bit. Colors...Last year I did nery well on firetiger, chartruese, clown and perch. As the weeds die down I use more long baits like husky jerks, rattlin rogues and thunder sticks.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• leech~~
      So let me see if I understand this? You guys on the last page or so are going to "Lets Save This Forum" by high jacking the thread and talking fishing now!     Dam that could just work? Carry-on!   Good Luck.
    • jriegel
      Thanks guys for the tips looks like 3-4inch stick bright stick baits and bright spoons seem to be the go to.  Anybody ever vertical fish them or live bait? Hope the weather is.good next friday, i have always wanted to get out there and try it.  Bonus is the wife would be happy with some fresh salmon.
    • ducksnbucks
      I have been looking at the gages this morning and the L.F. still appears to be either frozen or have an ice jam at the most downstream gage in Little Fork. The discharge is not working but the water level has risen 3' since Sunday. The next upstream gage however is flowing good and has risen from 1,200cfs to 5,000+cfs since Sunday and has risen 8' in the same period. The Big Fork doesn't have cfs data so I am thinking its frozen but the height has risen 2.5' since Sunday. I would think with that flow and the warm weather it's only a matter of days until they both go.   Other trips like the Black River and Rapid River are all on the rise both cfs and height.   Also, I took a look at the Rainy at Manitou Rapids and it has risen about 2' and has gone from 14,000 cfs to 17,500 cfs since Sunday.
    • northspear
       I'm heading up Friday. Going out of spring steele. I have a delivery route that took me up there today.  Took lunch at the warroad access. They got it closed with yellow tape.  If anyone heads up earlier an update would be great.  I'm planning on an atv but will walk if I have to.  Thanks.  Good luck and tight lines!!!
    • AlwaysFishing23
      I herd some lakes in the BWCA were still in good shape as of Monday but I'm sure that changed by now.