Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .

kgpcr4    2
kgpcr4

HOW MUCH ICE IN ON THE POINT? ANYTHING GOING ON IN THE RIVERS? ANYONE BEEN OUT? LOOKIN FOR SOME REPORTS.

biff    9
biff

I was out friday, quite a bit of ice along the shore minnesota to wisconsin point. Its gonna have to get pushed out first. Fished for 'pout in the st.louis, one I cleaned had six smelt and a ruffe in its stomach so they are coming in.

pout-slayer    0
pout-slayer

Hey Biff,hope you don't mind me asking but where were you fishing for the pout at.I know that the better pout holes are closely guarded family secretes so I'll understand if you don't want to give out the spot. grin.gif

shogun    0
shogun

I went ahead and tried a few pulls tonight just to check things out, harbor side of course since there is ice on the lake side. I was with a friend new to it, so I was pretty much trying to teach him all of the techniques, mainly a practice night. Managed very few little males, they will be my Monday morning breakfast. grin.gif

smallsmelt.JPG

JAR JAR    2
JAR JAR

Looks like a couple smelt but there looks to be a few shiners in there too blush.gif

Jar Jar

Surface Tension    262
Surface Tension

Can't really tell from the pic but it does look like shiners. How'd they taste? grin.gif

musky hunter    0
musky hunter

Judging from the drain in the sink, maybe 4" in diamater, those are either the smallest smelt on reocrd or they are some of the best shiners I've ever seen. Congrats on a great catch!

biff    9
biff

Pout-slayer...Down in the lower harbor area in the deep channels, and I am talking right on the bottom of the channel in the deepest water. I think when they are done spawning they group up in the channel before heading out into superior. The ice can still be a pain as it moves in and out. It is kind of nice after steelhead/looper fishing (almost) elbow to elbow to go out and have the river all to yourself.

Those do look like shiners, maybe the smelt are still hanging deep and havent really penetrated the shallows yet. Those shiners would make some great bait though.

I'llTakeWhatiCanGet    0
I'llTakeWhatiCanGet

Where did you make those pulls? Behind the beachhouse section of the point? Those kinda do look like shiners, but I've heard that some people do good for smelt in there- I've only ever tried off the lake side of the point. I think we're gonna have to wait a bit yet before smelting picks up. There's a lot of ice on the point, although the strong winds today should help break it up. Hopefully we'll only have to wait until Cheffrey's Coho Cleanup to get some smelt. That shouldn't be too bad, the steelhead are starting to come in... grin.gif

shogun    0
shogun

doh*! blush.gifblush.gifblush.gif

Yeah i guess you can just disregard this post, im an (Contact US Regarding This Word). I don't have a good memory.

Riverratpete    3
Riverratpete

With this rain is it having any effect on the lake temp? Thinking about coming up Friday night after work to give it a go, anybody seeing or getting anything....other than shiners smile.gifhaha

I'llTakeWhatiCanGet    0
I'llTakeWhatiCanGet

Keep an eye on the wind forecasts. We've had a strong northeaster blowing for the past 3 or 4 days. Its doing a fine job of crushing up all the ice along the shoreline, but if it continues, there'll be no pulling for you. Keep an eye on this thread though, it shouldn't be too long. Rain will probably raise the surface temp a bit, but with the big waves crashing, that water is quickly mixed in with the real cold stuff, so I think in the end it won't ammount to much. If things calm down, you might be able to get a few friday though, it'll be worth a try at the very least. Just make sure you get a positive ID on your smelt before you chow down on them blush.gif

Just kidding shogun smirk.gif

Northlander    71
Northlander

Ill be back in a few days and will have the Christianson net ready in no time. Come on warm water. Well it wont be nearly as warm as here in Mexico! cool.gif See ya all on Wed.

Shiner_Muncher    0
Shiner_Muncher

What is the limit on dem dar things, they sure look yummy grin.gif

moderation    1
moderation

Boy shogun, you are really taking a lot of heat, one little mistake and these guys jump all over you. Must be a slow time with not much fishing going on.

By the way are shiners any good? You may have hit on something - LOL.

Riverratpete    3
Riverratpete

Humors where you find it, yeah, it is that weirdness between seasons...bored I guess.

moderation    1
moderation

That's what makes this such a great site. I love it.

Shiner_Muncher    0
Shiner_Muncher

Ya must of had to tip dem lil buggers upside down, to tell if dey were males ?

wazzup    0
wazzup

has anybody been out recently ? I see the water temp. is 43.1 deg. at 6:30pm on 4/13/05 . I hear that the smelt run at 42 - 46 deg. does anybody know how true this is ? I plan on going to duluth thurs. or fri. looking for more info . anybody been to grind stone yet? looking for any info out there please .

Surface Tension    262
Surface Tension

wazzup, welcome to FM.

I heard Seversons just started to put nets out in the bay.

With our warmer them average temps things are a little ahead of schedual around here but I think its still a bit early for the rivers.

Riverratpete    3
Riverratpete

Well I think I'm heading up Fri evening regardless, it'll be the only shot I get due to the boys baseball schedule coming up so I guess it'll be a bit of a hit or miss deal.

buckkiller183    0
buckkiller183

im coming up this weekend lookin for steelhead and wondering if its worth bringing up the sein net to try the point and if any body knows where they sell pretty good seins please give me the location and price if possible.

Riverratpete    3
Riverratpete

Beuller....anybody.....I hear crickets.

Northlander    71
Northlander

Ice on Park Point at this point. Wi. Point is open to pull.

Riverratpete    3
Riverratpete

Just looking at the info, said water temp in Duluth 44 degrees.