Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CFD MEDIC

May weather

10 posts in this topic

This will be me and my two brothers first trip to Cass in May.What is the weather usually like around middle to late May?

CFD MEDIC, come prepared for the worst. Layers and GOOD raingear. Prefished the PWT with Ted Takasaki last year on Cass and it was nasty. Rain, wind and temps in low forties!!

Seriously, our weather can be all over the place. Plan on bringing several thin layers of clothing so you can adjust accordingly. Good raingear will get you thru wind and/or rain. Gloves, headwear and WATERPROOF boots round out my recommendations. You can always shed clothing, but, if you don't have enough, you'll regret it. You're coming a good distance (Chicago) so don't shortchange yourself.

Heck, I remmember May 1, 1970. That was the day my wife and I left Chicago to move to Brainerd, MN. It started raining in mid-Wisconsin and changed to snow as we entered Minnesota. Ended up with 4 inches in Brainerd!! So, to be forewarned is to be forearmed. Good Luck and good fishing

dockehr

Dr. Roland E. Kehr, Jr.

Lindy Tackle

My first trip each year is usually the week after opener. Last year we had 40-50 degree weather and lots of wind. In recent years past (last 4-5) we have seen the weather this time of year range from a high of 75 degrees to a low of 25 degrees with frozen water in the minnow buckets.

Yes, come prepared. Most likely you wont' need to pack shorts, but rain gear and winter weather gear should come along for sure.

Don't start with the wimpering now because the weather might be a little cold and how we should have gone in June bla bla bla.. When we catch all those fish you won't even notice the ice hanging from your fingers. Besides we'll have good weather anyway.

Some of our best times were skinny dipping in Pike Bay during opener week when it was 85 out. But then there also were weeks when we nearly froze to death. That was 20-30 yrs ago and I have heard about so-called "global warming" since but as a self-proclaimed "wimperer", I would definitely bring the winter clothes and gloves. Heck, I have used a snowsuit in June on a few occassions.

One other word as a reminder - ANTIFREEZE - and I know you guys get my drift. The good thing about ANTIFREEZE is it works whether or not you are catching fish.

Thanks for the excellent replies everyone,I will definitely come prepared.Now my brother Ballbuster on the other hand will probably be going through my stuff to find something warm to wear but unfortunately for him I don't wear kid size clothes seeing that he is only 4 feet tall.My other brother Walter King will probably be content wearing his leather thong underwear no matter what the temp is!

Same as it is @ Pelican fool. Remember, f@%$# hail storms, tornados in Bemedgi! We were flying across the lake and hail kept pegging dad in the back of the head........ That was hilarious. grin.gifgrin.gif

You fool Walter Queen; that was at Pelican Lake with the hail storm. I remember somebody sitting with a boat seat over their head to protect from the hail and dad was sitting there drilling us with hail balls in the back for not going in when he said. I guess pop got us on that one. He always said we should listen to him.

Blockbuster, you should put on them galsses & look @ the e mail again. I said Pelican fool. You going to beline off the end of the dock again?

Yeah pops was sitting in the back of the boat throwing hail at the back of my head while I was driving back to the dock.If I remember correctly you guys were hiding under boat cushions begging me to put the top on.Walter taped ice cubes all over his boddy from the lumps he took and Ballbuster curled up in a ball in the cabin and snivled like a little school girl.I WENT FISHING AS SOON AS THE STORM BLEW OVER!!!!