• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Jiffy auger BIT sharpen

Hemlock

Question

Has anyone ever heard of sharpening the point on the tip of the bit for a jiffy, or any similar style auger? I just found a guy here in Kenora who can sharpen anything. He's charging me $10 (CDN) $8 US a blade. When I brought them in, he asked if I had the auger bit with. I did not, and he went on to inform me that sharpening the point (triangular peice) will help greatly. It's not that I don't trust the guy, cuz I do, but just wanted other people's insight. I'll let you know how it works regardless.

2 answers to this question

I have a 10 year old 8" Jiffy Arctic Blast (2 hp). I sharpen the center point at the end of the season when I sharpen the chipper blade. It does make a difference. The chipper blade is still the original. Pretty easy to sharpen yourself.

The center bit is a key part to the cutting system on any ice auger. It also meters the rate of the ice into the main cutting edge so if it is dull or bent it will slow things down significantly.

They are easy to sharpen yourself with a good fine grade file. Just be sure to keep the factory angle on the bevel and you all set.