Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Wadinator

URL Northern Fishing

Wadinator    0
Wadinator

Has anybody been catching Northern up there? I'm coming up in a few weeks and would like to try catching a few of the fabled Red Lake Monsters. What presentation/bait has been working the best lately?

Thanks!

LOWinEYEin    0
LOWinEYEin

I tried Sucker about a foot from bottom about 50 ft from shack....had a monster pass by the AV 3 times...NO FLAG

Wadinator    0
Wadinator

I'm thinking a big smelt or cut chubs laying on the bottom might work.

I'll never forget this... One time while fishing Okoboji I was fishing with a cut chub, and earlier had a small 20" pike come thru and rip one of the chubs off my hook, and it had sunk down to the lake bottom right below my hole where I could see it laying on the lake bottom. Shortly after putting another cut chub on my hook a 10 pounder came up and stuck it's nose on the chub on my hook, but then proceeded to go down to the lake bottom to suck up the chub on the lake bottom instead of the one on my hook!

Some of those pikies are smarter than others!

Bill Powell    0
Bill Powell

For some reason the Northern bite is not as hot as last year but some nice ones are still being caught. This worked good for me last year I took a 3" Dardevel took the hooks of and tied a 2' leader under it with a big circle hook and a big River Shiner. The extra flash in the stained water seemed to draw them in.

Bill Powell

LABS4ME    0
LABS4ME

Ever really watched how many of those pigs get hauled off the lake? Look at the picture pages on some of the other sites, many - many norhterns being killed. It would stand that the action will continually slow down, just from the qty. of piggies being removed from the system. Let em' go so they can grow! Besides the graphite Northerns are actually very realistic, unlike some of the other species.

Good Luck!

Ken

Wadinator    0
Wadinator

Quote:

Ever really watched how many of those pigs get hauled off the lake? Look at the picture pages on some of the other sites, many - many norhterns being killed. It would stand that the action will continually slow down, just from the qty. of piggies being removed from the system. Let em' go so they can grow! Besides the graphite Northerns are actually very realistic, unlike some of the other species.

If I take any northerns home, it would only be one. I'm in it for the sport more than the food. CPR (catch picture release) is what I had in mind. The thrill of landing those big fish, and the pictures of them is what I'm after. I just love catching big toothy critters (northern, walleyes, and muskies), and I've heard Upper Red is an excellent place to catch some! cool.gif

hanson    1
hanson

Quote:

If I take any northerns home, it would only be one.

Unfortunately Wadinator, there are tens of thousands of people fishing Red with the exact same philosophy.

It is safe to assume that if you catch a Northern on Red, it will be bigger than any Northern you have ever caught. I'm not specifically talking about you, but most people in general will have caught there biggest pike on Red accidentally while fishing crappies.

I'm of the opinion that Red needs a northern slot like Lake of the Woods has. I wouldn't even mind seeing all 30"-45" fish released. Just think of what that would do to the pike fishing. World Class. You wouldn't have to go to Reindeer Lake or Wollaston Lake in Canada to catch a 45" with some regularity. I get the shakes just thinking about it.

Wadinator    0
Wadinator

Alright then, I won't keep any pike. I'd love to see a world class pike lake too. But I AM going to get their picture before putting 'em back down the hole grin.gif. It's no skin off my back. Like I said, I'm in it for the sport, not the meat. And I know a taxidermist can make excellent replicas from a picture, in case I'd catch one that I'd want mounted.

So anyway, back to the topic at hand. Keep the tips coming. And if you see a white 95 diesel suburban with Iowa plates up there on February 11, 12, or 13th stop by and say "hi". We'll be in Kelly-p's shacks on the 11th and 12th.

kelly-p    283
kelly-p

The URLAA has a very good CPR (Catch Picture Release) program. Take a picture, sign up in the program with your picture as evidence and you get a reduced rate for a replica mount. There are also different colored pins for different sized northerns.

Wadinator    0
Wadinator

Quote:

The URLAA has a very good CPR (Catch Picture Release) program. Take a picture, sign up in the program with your picture as evidence and you get a reduced rate for a replica mount. There are also different colored pins for different sized northerns.

EXCELLENT! Sounds good to me. I'll get the details about signing up when I get up there, after I catch a monster or two and have a few pics in the camera. grin.gif

Hoyter    0
Hoyter

Northern action wasn't real fast last weekend but I did pop two flags. The first dropped the sucker right away. The second only pulled out about 2 feet of line and stopped. When I set the hook I knew I was going to be happy by the weight. Then I saw my line marker right away and got worried with only about three feet of slack line before the spool and a real heavy fish. I thought it might be a bigwalleye since it wasn't running. My hole was full of slush so I couldn't see into the water real well. After a real short run I got it turned up the hole and about crapped when I saw the big ole green toothy head pop out of the water! My biggest fish ever - 40" and 17lb. It was a great way to start a Sunday and then to follow it up the Vikes beat the Pack - awesome.

I got her in 13 feet of water about 2 feet off the bottom on a 6 inch sucker. 9:30am on Sunday. And yes, CPR was employed - she's still out there (I hope). Good luck.

SoHawk    0
SoHawk

I kept a 39" monster off of red last year. The plan was to mount it. but by the time that we had gotten home the fish was frozen and the fins were all broken and it was ruined. When I cleaned it. I couldn't believe all of the eggs that that old sow had in her. After that I will never keep anything over 10# . A picture is just as good for me.

By the way, I use a spinner blade connected directly to the leader at the hook to add some flash and rattle to my tipups. I have found that the biggest willow blade I can find works best. It has really help my tipup success.

james_walleye    77
james_walleye

I made a suggestion last year after seeing all the 10-15 lb northerns kept on Red last year that a slot might be needed too ensure the future be as good or better than it currently is. I would love too see it. But i was surprised at some of the responses i got on here. Some of the guys seemed too want too reach right through their computer and grab me by the throat they were so mad at my ideas. Protect those 30-40" fish and make them go back and you'll have a lake full of 20lbers. Im telling you when the crappie fishing tails off that is where the gold mine is for local business. A great extra bonus too the great walleye fishing that will be available shortly. A great bonus a lot of other great walleye fisheries dont have.

milnortech    0
milnortech

Ive seen people take 3 40"+ northerns home from LOW 3 years ago. Now there is slots there. We the fisherman could prevent this from happening. By using common sense and not keeping the biggest fish we catch. I dont think that a 40" fish could taste very good anyway. Mounting one that size must cost a fortune. And there are replicas. CATCH PHOTO RELEASE !!! Unless hooked Baddly and wont make it or keep smaller fish to eat.