Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
McGurk

Dead/ Star Lake report...

McGurk    1
McGurk

I have nothing to report, as we are going up there this weekend. But we would appreciate any info on these lakes and Rush and Ottertail, if you all would be so kind grin.gif. We've been up there in the fall and weren't to lucky (short of the cold beer and cards), and hope to brave the cold to try a little fishin' this long weekend. Maybe we'll even stroll on in to the TriplePlay in Dent, look for 4-6 guys who look like they don't belong wink.gif

Thanks in advance and Good Luck! McGurk

Lights    0
Lights

I don't have anything to tell ya, But as they say at the Triple play "I got bent in Dent" He He He! They are both good lakes. People are kind of secretive about them. They hold some nice eye's(17" average) and BIG panfish. I have a place on Dead. I did'nt fish it much in the winter until this year. I fished it for eye's and did good.

Anyone know were the panfish are on this lake in the winter? It seams no one fishes them. Everyones after the eye's.

bigtruckderbuck    0
bigtruckderbuck

I fished Ottertail Saturday. Figured that the lack of recent reports signaled the start of a good bite. Unfortunately that wasn't the case in the spot I fished. Set up in about 25 ft. off a sunken island and caught 3 perch and 2 small walleye between 3 and 6pm. Spoke with others nearby that had similar results.

I haven't heard anything about other area lakes.

Good luck this weekend. Hopefully the fishing will improve by then.

SUNNYD    0
SUNNYD

All I can say is Star Lake is Dead right now grin.gif. I have been out there twice in the last 3 weeks and it was unbearably slow action. There were 4 of us on the lake and we didn't have one panfish worth keeping. Who knows maybe it the fish aren't where we expect them to be right now, but other than a couple of small Pike there was nothing to speak of. I cannot comment on Dead as we have yet to fish it this year.

Take care!

GRAND DAD    0
GRAND DAD

I second that Star is dead and I could not belive it been out there a couple of times this year at my crappie holes and nothing they didn't even come threw and they have been coming threw these holes for 20 years of my life and nothing I think they found a new home somewhere out there!

Dano2    0
Dano2

yeah, what the hay is going on with those big gulls and crappies. I have been out 4 times on my favorite panfish lake that has some very nice gulls in it, and average crappies, and have only been nagged by little stinken perch, I have fished all around the same vicinity that I usually get em, and nothing.

McGurk    1
McGurk

Well, the trips off due to poor temps and the long haul. The cabin will have to wait till a little later, sadly. The fishing reports make it sound like we won't be missing much as far as a bite goes. Too bad.

Good Luck this weekend and Be Careful! McGurk

EYEHUNTER10    0
EYEHUNTER10

Exactly the same problem down here Stumped Panfish must be suspended deep somewhere Perch everywhere not one crappie yet just eyes and perch! Any advice I fish waska in pope!

duckhntr    0
duckhntr

i have a place on dead and always do well in only 12 to 14 feet of water. thats summer, and through the ice. we seem to find crappies and eyes and fish about in the same spot. this past summer we caught more eyes than ever, all on plastics.

McGurk    1
McGurk

Well, next trip is on! We're up there the weekend of the 18/19/20 and am hoping for some good times! How's the ice/snow conditions; trucks having any problems? I'm sure we'll take our limit of hammerhandles out and try for some 'eyes, and maybe even some panfish if we get bored.

Anyways, I hear DipLip, ManHands, and the rest of our favorite bar-maidens at the Tripleplay in fabulous, historic downtown Dent callin' our names! We'll be there soon!

duckhntr, we'll be up on the NE bay on the east side by Troje's, if you see a black toyota w/ a topper and some black portables, stop over. We may even get adventurous and take a lazy drive over to Indian Bay, too. Good Luck!

McGurk    1
McGurk

Any reports from Dead/ Star lately? I'd hate to have to spend all of our time up there with a can in hand...

McGurk    1
McGurk

Boy, I hope the fish aren't as tight-lipped on Dead as the people fishing on it wink.gif. Or maybe there will be plenty of elbow room on the ice as no one fishes it. Either way, we're still going up. I'd be happy to donate a frosty beverage to any fellow FMers up there if they're around.

How's the snow on the ice? Are trucks driving on the lakes, or just sleds and quads?

deathtwitcher    0
deathtwitcher

Looks like you're gonna have to find out for yourself! I drive by these lakes frequently, but have not seen any parades of people out there, so not much must be happening. I think lots of people are still walleye fishing. I got a great walleye spot on Star that I haven't gotten to yet. How much is it worth to ya?

McGurk    1
McGurk

Tell me if you want, don't if you don't. I just want to know if anyone is having success. We'll fish it and have a great time no matter what. Good Luck to you if you get out. Have you had any issues driving on the lakes?

McGurk    1
McGurk

Well, not much to report. Pulled our limits of northerns (if you can call them northerns, small) out and went to a smaller lake in the afternoon for panfish and did OK.

We did hear of a CO asking about a light colored truck on Dead Lake that was supposedly pulling up northerns and leaving them on the ice for the eagles over the last couple of weeks. Very illegal. I'd assume if they'd be doing that on Dead, they'd do it on other lakes too. If anyone knows of this please give a call to the proper autorities of approach them and ask them to stop. If nothing else pickled northern is great and you don't have to worry about the Y-bones. Good Luck!

deathtwitcher    0
deathtwitcher

McGurk, what was the smaller lake you went to? How many did you actually keep? what kind? what depth? what did you use to catch them? Thanks in advance. 'twitcher.

McGurk    1
McGurk

Mid afternoon, Small light colored jigs w/ waxworms, 7-8" bluegills, 1 close to 9", 15' water, along a weed line, kept about 15 between my dad and myself. Also pulled up about a 3lb northern on a minnow at the same depth. Saw crappies suspended about 6' off the bottom at 5pm, but left before we could get one up. Bigger bg's were much more finicky, you could tell it was a larger fish just by the way it bit, had to have a little more patience.

DT, what's it worth to you?

deathtwitcher    0
deathtwitcher

Just Razzin' ya a bit there McGurk. I didn't expect you to give up all the goods. If you found that spot yourself, you deserve the added satisfaction of having done that along with getting some keepers there.

McGurk    1
McGurk

No problem, DT, just don't want to see this little lake covered w/ holes. And after hearing about the "sportsmen" on Ottertail jumping into used holes, I'd rather keep it quiet. drop me an email for loc. duitsmn@netzero.com

deathtwitcher    0
deathtwitcher

McGurk, you've got mail.

koWALLEYEski    0
koWALLEYEski

Howd the walleye search go for everyone on Star this year. Had my spear house out there and speared some dandys.

deathtwitcher    0
deathtwitcher

Say there KoWalleyeSki, Not sure if you previewed that last post, but you made it sound like you speared some dandy walleyes in Star this year......You probably don't want to post the description of your shack!!

Mark Christianson    0
Mark Christianson

Yikes. Thats incriminating......

koWALLEYEski    0
koWALLEYEski

HAHAH SORRY! NO i didnt spear any walleyes. I meant to say Pike. Totally sorry. I didnt review my post. I am truely sorry!

baja    0
baja

Just wondering what people think of the new 10 fish limit on sunfish/bluegill for Star....I thought I heard it was for a 10 year period. Sorry if I missed this on another thread.