Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Animal

We Are Lucky To Live In the Duluth Area

12 posts in this topic

This morning I was driving down Central Entrance toward downtown Duluth at about 8:00 AM (Mon. 1-10). As I got to the Mesaba Avenue intersection the view of the lake was absolutely beautiful. The sun was just rising over the lake and was a bright orange with a yellow halo and cast a reflection across the newly formed ice which almost covered the entire lake basin. The remaining open water leads added a purple cast to the rest of the scene.

Luckily I didn't have to be at an appointment until 9:00 am so I drove down to the Rose Garden and was able to watch the morning unfold for the next 1/2 hour. It was truly one of those times when I realize why I'm lucky to be able to live in the area.

Right on Animal. Hunting, Fishing and great views of nature. And 4 seasons! grin.gif

Lots of such sites to behold up there. One of our favorites is when we arrive after the sun has set and while coming in on I35 we can look down at the lake and see the lift bridge and all. I have to agree with you on the sunrise though. I've seen a multitude of them while fishing the breakwater in Two Harbors....all are different, none less spectacular than the other!

Absolutly the truth. I could have moved to any city in the U.S. last spring, or stayed in Honolulu.( Home biusness ) I chose Duluth for just the reasons described above. Most of all the lake. grin.gif

Nothing beats running out into the lake in anticipation of a good day on the water with the sun slowly making its way to a new day.

Your handle is "animal" why? I don't associate a handle like that with as eloquent a writer as you were in your post. Surprises, they sure are everywhere, eh? cool.gif

My wife misses Duluth a ton. We lived there a year and a half (actually in Superior) and worked in Duluth before moving to Ely. The lake is one of the most inspiring natural wonders I've ever experienced and, aside from a fine friend or two, is the only thing I regret leaving.

I grew up and lived in Duluth for 42 years, you just don't appreciate the beauty and all the rest that Duluth has to offer until you aren't living there anymore. Would move back in a minute if I could find a lucrative job there.

There has been many a morning that as i make my way north into duluth to work, i end up pulled over at the top of thompson hill or even pulling up onto skyline above to watch the sun come over the lake (at 5:30am it is pretty safe to do). I have told myself that i should carry a camera in the truck at al times, but find that it just doesnt do it justice. It is a great way to start a day smile.gif

Most days I'll take the longer way to work down Mesiba to catch the view of the lake each morning. As a resident of the area for only 6 years, I haven't taken for granted what we have here. I hope I never do either! A perfect place for us who enjoy everything the area has to offer!

STFCATFISH

When I was registering on FM the handle I use for some of the other websites I visit was taken. I needed a name and I had a book lying on my desk entitled "North American Animals", so I used Animal. I never changed it.

Thanks for calling my words eloquent. I do enjoy all the great outdoor scenes that I encounter when traveling around northern MN. I’m also able to easily record what I see thanks to my trusty digital camera.

You live in a great area as well. There is no shortage of great places to get lost for a day in the Ely area. My wife and I do several one and two day trips to the Ely area each summer and fall. We hike the trails and paddle the lakes and rivers. We have some outstanding photos of our trips. We especially like to take the camper to Fenske Lake and hike the Bass Lake Trails.

Animal:

We've probably had a few near collisions along the Echo Trail, then, a road designed to pit bumper against bumper on the turns. shocked.gif

Yes, You are VERY lucky animal! I grew up in cloquet so I know what you are talking about. I live in the twin cities cesspool and my heart, mind and soul is still and always will be up north! Thats why my handle is northman. I AM THE NORTHMAN! - My last girl fiend last year was living in superior. We broke up. She has short legs and has a little trouble climbing in my colmen canoe. You have my permission to remind me once a year how lucky you are. If you can find me an ok job 40 miles in any direction from duluth I will join you.... - northman