• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hello all-

I was looking aroung the St. Cloud area for another lake to try because the lake I've been fishing hasn't been working for me. I usually fish for northerns, but a nice walleye or some panfish are always good too. I was checking out the stats on Bass lake near Clearwater and I was wondering if anyone has fished it recently and can start me in the right direction. First of all, are there any other landings besides the one on the west side? Also, where and what depth would be a good place to start for a couple northerns. Do a lot of people fish this lake and how is the water clarity this winter? Thank you for any help, I need to bring home a meal yet this winter and I only have 7 "Fishin' Friday's" left to do it smile.gif

Can anyone help? I tried Little Rock (the dead sea) again this evening and I didn't see a thing. Can someone help me get on a couple fish at Bass Lake near Clearwater?

Tony: I have never fished this lake in the winter, however I have spent countless hours in the boat chasing bass. I have never caught a walleye so not sure what type of population exists. As far as the access is concerned the only one I have used or know of is on the NW side. If I were to go there on the hard water I would try off the point to your left as you head out from the access. It drops off pretty decent and there is a pretty decent weed line there as well. I would then continue to the left around the point and you will note some rushes, out from them there is also a break and a good weedline. That weedline will continue along that shore line all the way to the north side of the lake and follows that shoreline on most of the northern side of the lake. On the south side, straight across from the access you will see a large two story boat house, it looks like a bunk house built on the second level. This area drops off from shore very quickly and from that are back left along that shore another weed line extends out quite a ways. You'll have to drill some test holes to find the edges, but you should be able to find some pannies, sunfish. I have never caught a crappie on bass however. Hope this gives you a little insight. Good luck and hang on, some nice Norts in here as well. Bill

Hey bturk! Thanks for the tips! I'll put them to good use once the cold spell blows over and let you know how the ice bite out there is. If you want to chase some bass and don't mind an hour drive, try Gilbert in Brainerd or Black Hoof near Crosby this spring. I can get my Dad to give up info on a few of his honey-holes cool.gif

Great info Bill. I've been meaning to try to get out to that lake, but can never find the time.

yes I would love to try those bass lakes. I really enjoy chasing those fish on the open water. Looks like the cold spell should break about mid next week. Hope you find a good bit. Its really a nice body of water. Also in the same area is Clearwater and Cedar. They also put out some good panfish and walleyes. Good luck, will be looking for your report. Bill

Well, I got the house moved(It took me a good chunk of the morning) and I tried the point where the majority of the houses are on Bass to no avail. I was in about 16 FOW. I ended up moving my house to the weedline by a double boat house. I don't know if it's the same one you told me about, bturk, but I ended up right on top of a huge blob of weeds, so I had to move again. I'm now sitting in bout 10 FOW on the weedline, but I didn't fish much more than an hour here with nothing to show. I had to leave cuz the snow was getting kinda thick smile.gif I hope to try again tomorrow, weather permitting, with my brother. If I go, I'll post how we did. Thanks for the help getting me started, now i just have to find the fish confused.gif

Went out again today. My brother cheesed out on me, but it was probably for the better. I found out the 4wd on my truck doesn't engage the hard way. Had to huff it about 3/4 the way across the lake with my gear and then back when I was done fishing(I would say "done catching" if I happened to catch anything. I fished from 7 til noon in the same spot with nothing to show. Hopefully the snow packs down before I go out again so I can try another spot. Anyone else been getting into some 2-4 lb. Northerns or some nicer sunnies? Maybe I'll bust out the portable til the snow's OK. Thanks for the replies! Keep on catchin'!

Finally!! I went out from 7 til noon today and came home with 3 nice fish. I think they finally put on the feed bags cuz they were fat! When I cleaned them I checked their stomachs. The biggest one(26")had a 4-5" sunnie in it and it still took my bait. The next one(24") had a leopard frog in him. I thought frogs were dormant and buried themselves in the mud for the winter. All the last one(23") had in her, besides some eggs, was my minnow. I guess she was the only really hungry one. I hope to make it out again next Friday morning and I think my bro just may come with me this time smile.gif Thanks for the help, Bill, and I'll get back to you before Bass opener on those honey-holes.

btw, is the limit on Northerns 3 or 6? I could've kept more but I was unsure about the limit and I only wanted to bring home a meal, not fish the lake dry.

This from the DNR handbook's "Season's and Limits for Inland Waters" (page 18):

Northern Pike

Season: May 15, 2004 to February 20, 2005...

Possession Limit (size): 3 (Not more than 1 over 30" may be taken each day).

Tony: Glad you finally got into a few, sure sounds like you paid your dues to find them. If you are on weeds to the left of the boat house if you're looking at it, there is a pretty good weed flat that runs out quite a ways from shore. Coming back toward the boat house it hooks bac to shore and there is 16-17' of water very close to shore. The weed flat you're on, if its the same one is can be very productive in the summer for both bass and northern.

I think with the warmer weather settling the snow down you will have been access to the lake in regards to driving around a little. Good luck and hang on. Bill

Thanks again guys!! I'm glad I decided not to keep more than three. Bill, I was fishing a different area when I caught them. I still coudn't make it to my house to move it, maybe after I'm done fishing on Friday. When I'm on the south end of the lake, there's 3 doubled up boathouses so I don't know which one you mean exactly. All I can say is that I ended up on a pile of red weeds in about 8-10 FOW the last time I was at the house. I think I'll take the house off and use the portable for my next few outings. I'd like to sell it cuz it's such a pain for me to haul in my s15 Jimmy. If anyone's interested, it's a 4x6x6 collapsable permanent. I can cram the whole thing into my Jimmy, so I guess it's portable. It's just a bit much for 1 person to set up(especially when it's windy) and haul. I plan on building a canvas house for next year. If anyone's interested, send me an email at Tonyjor2atcharterdotnet. Thanks everyone for your help.

Out again today from 7-noon. At 7:15 I got into some crappies and ended up only keeping 2. The first one was about 10" and the second was the biggest I've ever caught. It was almost 14" and weighed 1.5 lbs. I also caught one snake. All the other crappies were 6-8 inches. I'll have to get out there earlier next week to see if I can get into them again. smile.gif What a blast! I was also able to move my house finally, although I got stuck a couple times.