Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
climbmda

I'm looking for tips on Medicine

climbmda

Hi all-

I am thinking of hitting Med on Saturday. I haven't fished it in several years. Anyone have any general tips for depths or areas? I'm not looking for anyones sweet spot, or GPS coordinates, unless you feel so inclined grin.gif

Also, if anyone else will be out there, and wants link up, let me know. Haven't had the chance to meet any other board members since i joined last year.

A buddy of mine and I will be going out.

Thanks.

MedicineMan

What are you going after?

jipper

I was out there this morning and cought 3 nice pike on big shinners in about 22ft. of water.

climbmda

I'm sort of species neutral... probably panfish and pike in the afternoon, maybe some eyes toward sunset, depending on the action.

MntkaFishin

Climda - A buddy and myself will be out on Medicine on sat. hoping to find some panfish and maybe a nice pike or two. We're hoping to be on the lake around 6:30 - 7 am. We could get together and talk strategy, since I haven't fished Medicine before. Look for a maroon F-150, with two bigger(bordering on fat) guys in blaze orange.

Tripleplay

I'm also fishing Medicine for the first time tomorrow. I'm planning to snag a little advice from Joe at the baitshop as I'm looking to see a couple of northerns get caught as this will be my kids first trip onto the ice (from everything I've seen on this forum, Joe is very free with his help). I've also got another dad and son coming along so we'll be a pretty good sized group.

I drive a blue Avalanche and my buddy has a white one so if you see us stop on by. I'm a rookie to ice fishing and tomorrow is really to break-in the new equipment and to get some positives for the kids.

Everyting I've read also says that if Medicine Man lays out some free advice on fishing this lake to act on it! (I'll take some if you want as well Medicine Man)

We are mainly targeting northerns but would love a bonus crappie or walleye as well (even sunnies although I've not rigged the rods that direction).

climbmda

We probably won't be out until after lunch. I have a commitment in the AM. I'm thinking we'll probably go on by Harty's for simplicities sake. We'll be in a QFII portable.

MedicineMan

For pike I'd say fish the south end of the lake in anywhere from 7-12 feet of water. If you want Crappies, there will be shanty towns where the Crappies are. As far as Sunnies go....ummmm.... No one has been able to find Sunnies so far this year, I'd look for thick weeds in 6 feet of water or less. And as for eyes, if you want to catch 6-12" Walleye's head to the Crappie holes. If you want a eater sized Walleye's, don't even bother. If you do by chance catch a nice Walleye, take a picture and put 'em back. It's a lot more important that we help the DNR with their stocking efforts in Medicine to create a healthy Walleye population than it is to have a Walleye dinner. And I'm speaking to everyone when I say this.

Lee the bonehead

Hey Medicine Man, I finally saw a couple of sunnies around some deeper points. Fair sized but not biting and too few to fish for long (towards evening last night). I was hangin' a shiner out there for predators, but they never showed. Have you found thick weeds on the main lake? I totally agree about the Walleyes. If you want eater Walleyes, go to Independence.

G_man

I'm headed out there about 1pm and will be there til about 6pm. I'll be in a dark blue full size chevy silverado. You'll recognize my username on my license plate. Assuming I drive out. I'll be bringing my wife and father out with me. Please feel free to introduce yourself to us. Haven't decided where we are going to fish yet.

MntkaFishin

Sounds like their is going to be a full crew out tomorrow.

climbmda

Looking forward to seeing some people. I probably won't be riving out, but we'll be in an Eskimo QFII. I'll be in a balck and red jacket, and my buddy usually is in carharts.

We should come up with an FM decal or somehtin for portables so we can recognize other member.

Maybe I'll see some of you, tomorrow.