• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

so i found a sweet little jumbo perch spot yesterday. had non-stop action for like 2 hours. i caught tons of them. the majority were around 10in. so not huge jumbos but still decent. we'll i keeped 6 for the fry pan. got home and thawed them out and cut them up. well i noticed that their meat was peppered with worms. which is strange cause they didnt have the black spots on them at all. they all looked very clean and healthy. anyway, it grossed me out and no way was i going to eat them. so more wasted fish. first it was my candied crappie experience, now wormmy perch. confused.gif. has anyone eaten fish with worms? im studying fisheries science, but we havent talked about diseases and pathogens too much. does any one know what these worms are and how fish become infected with them? ive also caught some SLAB gills on caribou that are just peppered with black spots on their heads and fins, however, their bodies look clean. all of these fish are still swimming. are worms a problem around the lakes up here?

Has anyone eaten fish with worms in them? Northlander, maybe you don't have the flu afterall wink.gif

I think I would try to find a different sweet spot. My Dad told me over 40 years ago not to eat perch because of worms, right or wrong I've never kept one yet.

Hey Gunflint,

We are going to be on Ducan and or Daniels this weekend. If your in the neighborhood, stop by. Our group runs on Channel 4.

i know perch are bad in the summer months, but i have eaten a bunch of jumbos before that were as clean as could be in the winter. as good as walleye. anyway, it was a total buzz killer. i now must search out a new hot spot.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I think the black spots on fish are actually a harmless parasite and can be eaten. Worms are the little tiny white squirrely bumps in a fish when you fillet them, and may be harmful. Think of it as pepper.

did all your perch have worms? it would be a shame to waste a good spot you worked to find.

OUTDOORNUT,

Are you guys staying with Gerry & Forrest, I'm just a couple of roads down from them. If I can get away maybe I'll swing over. Be careful on the trail lots of moose out this time of year. Good Luck.

We've checked with the DNR and they told us that as long as you cook the fish thoroughly its ok to eat. But when I see those yellowesh white worms I either cut them out or not eat the fish.

every single one had the little white wigglers. only a few had a few black spots. are these the same parasite? i talked to a friend and he said that hes eaten a bunch of fish like those. he just said to cook them really good. maybe they are safe, but i aint going to touch them. quite dissapointing frown.gif

It's just a little harmless liverfluke. C'mon guys! this is nothing compared to fear factor, they are harmless and its not worth wasting fish over something you cant see (after battering and frying) or taste, for cryin eye just close your eyes and eat! grin.gif