Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
anchor man

Echo duck calls

anchor man

I was thinking of getting an early start on this year's duck call purchases and have heard some good things about the Echo line of calls. I prefer the "close in" calls most of the time and was wondering if anyone has anything good or bad to say about the Echo Timber call (in the poly material).

Thanks

Seabass77

I own the echo double reed timber and love it. I think the echo poly calls are one of the best values on the market. You won't be disappointed.

natebuddy

I have an echo acrylic that I bought at game fair. I like it for the most part. I bought a Foiles straight meat mallard about midway through the season and this call I absolutely love. A friend of mine has both also and he likes the echo better. If I were you I'd go and try both before dropping $100 plus on a call.

Nate

Seabass77

nate do you have the SMM double or single reed? Does it stick on you much?

natebuddy

I have the double. But honestly I don't know if it will stick because I only use off and on with my foiles. I use my foiles more and I probably haven't used the echo enough in one sitting to get enough moisture in it to get it to stick. My buddy has never mentioned anything too me about his sticking and we hunt together every weekend. He used to get pissed when we were in the boat when his called would stick. I would hear it and then 2 mins. later he would have his call taken apart to dry it out. But that was back before when we were using other calls. As far as I know his echo has never stuck. Have you had a problem with that and your call?

Nate

Seabass77

Sorry, I meant to ask if your Foiles was a double or single? MY double echo has only stuck one time out of lots of use.

natebuddy

Oh, I got ya. SMM (straight meat mallard) That has not stcuk at all yet. I went on 2 trips to N.D. for 4-5 days each trip and we hunted all day on the last trip. Birds were shy and didn't want to come in. The foiles call is very dependable and has not stuck or froze up at all.

Nate

Seabass77

Again, single or double? If its the double, how is the range in terms of pitch?

natebuddy

Sorry, Single reed. Very easy blowing, loud, high balls very well, feeding call also easy.

Seabass77

I tend to spit alot and end up clogging my single reeds. I have a RNT daisy cutter and I can only use it in warmer weather. I was disappointed because I really like the call but it's just not working for me I was thinking of selling and replacing with a Foiles single or Double.

MattKeller

Maybe you've tried this with your DC but..

After a hunt, just pull the barrel out and let the guts dry out. You'll hardly ever stick again. I have a DC and that has worked. Also, during down time in the hunt, pull the barrel off and flip the reed up so it bounces against the tone board. That will also help you out.

Matt

Rainman

I have an echo and like it a lot! It does stick but I just carry a dollar bill in my pocket, if it sticks just pop out the reeds and one swipe with the bill and its off to calling again! I want one of those Zinks calls, the XR-2, I heard they ROCK! I really like the BGB Sweet-talker Widowmaker as well!

Stelz

Personal opinion-

I have blown a lot of calls and it all depends what you want, If you want a call that is for stage and screen go acrylic, but it sounds like you are looking for a hunting call, soft and sweet. Stick with wood. Tim Grounds Hedge. I blew one last week and it sounded great, very ducky. I have had a few echos and they are great too. but you limit yourself by spending high dollars when you don't need too.

\just my 2 Cents

MattKeller

Tim's new acrylic calls can snap loud to get their attention and can be real mellow when they're in close. But the hedge sure is nice as well....