Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
tealitup

Snow Goose

tealitup

Anyone have any suggestions for hunting snow geese. Where and when? open to going most anywhere.

jblabsnduck

Are you looking to go out of state?

If not and you are talking about hunting them here in MN then go west. Wait till you here that the snows are showing up in Sioux Falls and then go.

We hunt in SW MN down by Ivanhoe. A lot of people will tell you that it is not worth your time but we have done pretty good down there. You wont get the huge number kills like you will in MO but our best day was 12 for two guys. We saw a ton of birds out there. We put out anywhere from 100-800 decoys and the farmers are usually willing to let you hunt there fields.

Those people that say there are no snows that come through MN, good let them think that. We have had huge flocks(500-1000 birds) work us but just stayed out of range. By the time they get here they have been blasted at a lot so they are very wary.

IceHawk

If your looking for out-of state hunting let me know and I will be more than glad to help you out? I hunt snows in the Dakotas every year and have alot of info to fill you in on.

MattKeller

MN does have some good spring hunts. It's almost more rewarding shooting a few in state than a 100 out of state.

But if you're looking at going out state, send me an email nwmngeesenducks@yahoo.com

We've hunted from Nodak south to Nebraska and I'd be glad to point you in the right direction.

Take care.

Matt

superfish2

Well if anyone would have some extra room in the blind this spring I would love to go snow goose hunting. I'd be pretty much open to anything as well.

MattKeller

"Well if anyone would have some extra room in the blind this spring"

I think it might be a little tight if you and I both hunted out of my xlandr wink.gif

IceHawk

I may be looking for guys that are willing to hunt SD. It all depends how many guys are going this year. I have around 500 plus shells and Northwinds and access to tons of prime fields, but more guns and decoys are always better when it comes to spring snows.

Duck-o-holic

Hey IceHawk,

We also hunted over about 600 snow dekes this fall in SD. Would love to hit SD again this spring. Just got done fishing Red today with 4 guys from Richmond that know you. Shoot me an email.

jonnyhoo333@webtv.net

Duck-o-holic

superfish2

Matt,

It wouldn't be tight.... it would be cozy. grin.gifgrin.gif

See what happens when guys from waterfowler dot com come over to fm.

Anyhow I have talked about going for several years now and if anyhow would let me tag along it would be great. I usaully have days off during the week and go pretty much whenever, and would be open to just about anywhere the dakotas, iowa, MN.

I would just like to see one of those huge flocks of snows in the air.

jblabsnduck

superfish2, where do you live at? We might have some extra room when we hunt MN. We go down towards the Ivanhoe area maybe 7-10 miles off the SD border.

Will kill some every year and have yet to see anyone else out there when we are.

Just think only 45 more days till it opens here in MN. smile.gif

superfish2

jblabsnduck,

I live in Bloomington but will pretty much hunt anywhere there are birds.

BTW did you go to the first FM pheasant hunt last april in Princeton?

jblabsnduck

I did not go to that.

I live in shakopee so we are not to far from each other.

I will keep you posted as to when we will be heading out there. We wait till they start showing up in Souix falls, that is when we go after them.

superfish2

Works for me.

tealitup

Sorry I have not written in awhile. Got really busy at work and then got the worst flu bug. Anyways, I would like to hunt snows in MN or anywhere within... 4 hours of the twin cities. If you have any ideas where and when please do not hesistate to email me... sg60000@hotmail.com

thanks everyone for your time.. interesting posts.

superfish2

I was just talking to some guys I work with who are in Nebraska and it sounds like snows were starting to move a little. Cruising the web too and it sounds like they are starting to pile up in MO on monday swan lake was reporting 75k.

IceHawk

Good news I't wont be long now and we'll be pounding them!!!!

Old Guide

superfish2, where are some good web sites to keep track of the snowgoose migration?

superfish2

Old Guide,

Some good ones are,

waterfowler (dot) com

huntingsnows (dot) com/

nodak oudoors (dot) com

The nodak site has some guys who are just itching to go and they seem to provide some good info.

catchnmall

Tony Dean

superfish2

Here is another helpfull link. I've actaully never gone spring snow goose hunting but I've read that they follow the snow line. Here is the snow line map.

nohrsc.nws.gov/interactive/html/map.html

MattKeller

Old guide. Keep your eyes open this spring. We hunted snows SW of you last year in MN. For sure not as many as the dakotas but still awesome!

Nova

Can you guys give me a heads up on what I need for a license. Is it just the regular small game, I doubt that waterfowl stamps are out yet, for MN. Is there also a special permit required. I tried looking at the DNR site but there isn't a lot of info. Any help would be appreciated.

JerknPerchSD

call this number....1-605-885-6401

Its the south dakota migration hotline

jblabsnduck

Nova, March 1st is opener. You need a spring snow goose permit $3.50 and your federal waterfowl stamp from last season(2004).

Old Guide

Superfish2, matt, and everyone else thanks for the info. Won't be long now....