• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

walleye report?

Hoffer

Just looking for some helpful information concerning Ice-fishing rentals at Brandts (anybody stayed there last year or recently and have feedback??) - also any current ice-fishing reports on the South Side - mainly looking for any helpful walleye updates

Thanks in advance!

Brandts is well run, very safe, makes the best roads on the lake IMHO. Whether the fishing right there is the best is another question. I think early season action can be OK in front of their place. I believe they had roads/houses out as far as Sloppy Joes last year.

As of Friday (Dec 24), it didn't look like they were open to vehicle traffic yet.

Hoffer,

When are planning to get out? I'll be staying out in a Brandts house Friday night (New Year's Eve). If the info is still useful, I'll be sure to post here.

have fished out of Brandts for the past four years mainly on sloppy joes. Have went to three and four mile and have ok luck.Roads are always good,houses clean and good people. Will not be up there for at least another week so dont have a fish report.

Hi guys - thank for the input.

I am staying up there for just one night on Wednesday. I am taking my 7 year old girl and 11 year old boy. I would love to stay more than just one night - they love to fish - but since this is the first time doing an overnight I want to see how it goes. I am just concerned that it will be safe to drive out by Wednesday - from the information I haveheard it seems like they have enough ice. Anyone know how the rental houses are as far as the beds? I know that might be a strange question - but I just wanted to know for the kids. All the communication I have had from Brandts so far has been excellent. Lastly, I will be sure to post a fishing report here on Thursday night if anyone is interested.

I am going to stay in one of their houses too on Friday and Saturday nights. Does anyone know how far out they have taken their houses and how far out are people driving? Any useful information would be appreciated Thanks

Well we were out on Wednesday night and caught one eye within the slot limit and one small pout. Lost something really big about 1 am. I was a little unprepared though - the other rental houses we have had in the past ( Mcquoids) came with rattle reels already in the house - and there werent any - so we used tipups in the house and out of the house. we were on "1 and a quarter mile" and were on what appeared to be a great spot - 21 feet where the house was and it went up to 14 feet just about 10 yards away. The rental house was nice and in good shape -would use Brandts again - but would bring rattle reels and also some extra foam for sleeping as they only have 4 inch foam on the beds.

Also, the weather turned real nasty int he early morning with freezing rain etc...so that front might have had something to do with the slow fishing.

I'll be fishing out of one of Brandts houses next weekend for the first time. Thanks so much for the heads up on the rattle reels. I would have been bummed to get there and not have any.

I'll post a report here next week.

Why the heck wouldn't the house have rattle reels in it, as a rental? Is this something new? Usually they come ready to go, don't they?

Is the owner of Brant's on this site??? We are going up in Feb., and was hoping he was a fellow FM'r.

• 2 weeks later...

Farley, Will let you know how i did. I'm heading up to one of Brandts houses on sat. Marvin

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.