• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

WBL Metro Get Together Jan. 15th

SmellyJelly

Here is a little recap of what went on tues 12/28. It was just Dan(goin fishin)and myself from 7:30am-11:00am. A huge group of guys from FM showed up there after. We were fishing straight out from Ramsey beach on a nice 30ft drop off. We started in 12ft just off the weed line and worked toward the 30ft hole. In 12 ft of water we had an under water camera down and I missed a MUSKIE as I was jigging my Glo Devil. shocked.gif We seen a few walleye's and another muskie but couldn't trigger them to hit. Hat's off to Maximum12...he wasn't fishing for more than 20 minutes and he pulled up a nice walleye on a tip-up that measured 27"...roughly 7.2lbs. We took a few photo's and back in the water it went. That was one of the high lights of the day.

Not to poke fun at goin fishin, but he demonstrated why it is important to wear "ice cleet's" on the lake when the lake has no snow cover on it. He wen't to check the depth of a hole with his Vexilar in hand and as he procceeded to take a few steps and all of a sudden, he was doing the "Crappie Flop" on his back with his Vexilar in a few pieces. Dan and the Vexilar are ok.

Thanks to all that came out to WBL to join us. It was great meeting you all.

I am going up to Gull Lake this weekend and would like to pre-fish WBL again sometime next week. Let me know if anybody is interested.

Thanks goin fishin for the awesome venision brats on the lake. They were smoking good.

Peace,

SmellyJelly

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SmellyJelly

• John Mickish

• spasticcp

• goin fishin

I'd like to credit that walleye to my fishing prowess, but I'd just arrived & only plunked my tip-up in a hole someone else had drilled because it was close to my portable. And by not giving the fish any slack (with 30lb braided line), he bent my hook pretty good, I'm lucky I didn't lose him. I figured it was a mid-sized northern until I saw his beady little eyes.

I had a great time! Looking forward to the 15th. Thanks to SmellyJelly for arranging the pre-fishing (it looked like the real gathering out there with all those guys tho!) & to goinfishin for the great brat & the use of his toys. Glad that Vex didn't see it's life end on WBL.

Good to meet a bunch of you & hope to see y'all on the ice again soon.

Welcome to FM Tripleplay. All you ever need to know about hardwater fishing you'll find on this site. Heck, all you need to know about softwater fishing too.

FM events are a great way to get to meet people, learn new techniques(and old ones), and have fun in general. I don't know that I will be making this event, but I can assure you there will be fellow anglers willing to help out in anyway possible(drill holes, lend you a lure, etc.) No worries mate.

Bringing kids! Of course! We need to introduce fishing to the next generation; the sooner the better. Making it fun is what it is all about.

If I do end up being able to make WBL on the 15th I'll be glad to help out any way I can. But don't worry, there will be somebody there to help out. Check with the locals there about bringing you're truck out. Since you don't have a shelter, if it happens to be cold out, you'll definitely want somewhere for you and the kids to go to warm up.

Remember: Fishingminnesota: We have more fun!

It was nice meeting you guys out on the ice on Tuesday. The three of us (my brother and buddy) were only able to manage a few small perch and a baby of the 27" eye max12 hauled in... The ice was a bit slippery blush.gif

We fished in about 20-26' until dark and then tried moving into shallower water at dusk to no avail.

Smelly, Thanks for putting this together and thanks for the flatbed lift out with your four wheeler. That was traveling in class! Hope to see you all on the 15th.

Tripleplay- I echo what buzbunni said. Come on out and join us...you won't believe how much you can learn from one Fishing Minnesota outing. There will be plenty of augers and such...just bring the basics with you and don't forget a tip-up. I will be happy to help you in anyway I can.

Maximum12-Don't forget to post your picture of the DANDY walleye you hustled in. grin.gif

Fleeced-It was my pleasure hauling you and your gear out to the lake. That was one of the main reasons I bought my ATV for ice fishing. It was fun blasting around the lake as well. Are you up for trying WBL again next week after work?

Can't wait till Jan 15th. to have fun with ya all again!

Peace,

SmellyJelly

Nice reports!! Congrats on that pig walleye Maximum12!! Looks like the White Bear Lake Get Together is the place to be come Jan 15!

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

I could do a little WBL prefish on Monday. I was originally planning on hitting Forest Lake since it's a hop, skip, and a jump for me, but if anyone's gonna be at WB it'd be worth the quick trip to meet some of the people who have been giving me all the advice. I've got the day off so I'll probably be heading out early. Anyone interested who's got the time I should be picking up a portable this weekend (description to follow depending on which one I get). Other than that I'll be the guy with the red Accord who's pretending to know what he's doing! grin.gif

Hey Triple. Welcome to FishingMinnesota! I'm pretty much in the same boat. Let me just say that you've come to the right place. I've only been on this site for about a month or so, but I've already learned quite a bit. Everyone here thus far has been extremely helpful, patient, and just all-around friendly.

I also have not nearly enough tackle, but no vex. I have just a hand auger at the moment, and should be picking up my portable this weekend. I know the way to Ramsey beach, just not street names off the top of my head. I'll have to get back to you on that one. I lived in WBL for a while, and sometimes you just know where to go, but never pay attention to the streets you're on. Funny how the mind works sometimes (or doesn't for that matter).

It was fun meeting some new people out there on WBL. Unfortunately, we didn't find a lot of fish. It looked promising at first, because the second whole drilled that I checked w/the camera, I saw a big fat musky swimming around. So Mike and I decided that this could be the ideal place to fish. Well, not a lot of action except for Maximum12, who did a awesome job of landing that pig! He is not lying when saying that eye almost straightened out the hook. I watched him bend it back after the fact.

Spasticcp, I am doing some prefishing on Monday and I think Smelly Jelly will try and make it out after work, so you are more than welcome to come along. If anyone else can make it out, that would be great! Hopefully I can find some spots w/a greater variety of fish.

Chow for now,

GF

Any particular time on Monday? I have the whole day off so I can be out as early as 5:30 or 6am if need be. If this is more of a later-in-the-day-after-work kinda thing, I can just putz around Forest for a while in the morning on lake two and then just head south to WB in the afternoon.

Goin Fishin, Are you going to be in the same area? I get home from work around 4:30 and can just drag all my junk along and meet you out there.

Spasticcp,

Let's shoot to hook up on WBL at the same spot everyone met up on this last week around 8am. I am leaving today to go up to Lake Superior for the whole weekend and won't be back until Sunday evening, so I will check back on this thread then. Hope to see you and anyone else who cares to go out on Monday morning.

Chow for now,

GF

Mnfishinguy,

I will be in the general area, but probably try the north side of the island as well so just call me on my cell phone#612-267-1939 and I will give you my location. Hope to see you out there.

Chow for now,

GF

Sounds good. Just so you know what you're getting into, I'm fairly new to ice fishing, have a little bit of tackle, a hand auger, and by Monday I may or may not have a portable shelter. I'll bring some waxies, crappie minnows and possibly some shiners since I do have one cheap plastic tip-up.

Anyway, I'll be there at 8am Monday, it was Ramsey beach right? Two-door red Accord. Hope to see a good group out there, the rook needs a little training.

mnfishinguy- I get off work at 3:00pm and can meet you out on WBL on Monday. I will bring my trailer and ATV so we can get around the lake easier. You mentioned something about trying the shore line in front of the huge crane by the bridge. I say we give that a try. I am not sure if Dan (goin fishin) will still be out there on the lake at that time seeing he will be out there in the early morning.

spasticcp- You will be in good hands with Dan. He is great with a map and gps. Maybe he will teach you a few techniques I taught him. wink.gif

If you don't have a pair of "ice cleets" please stop by your favorite sporting goods store and pick up a pair. Just ask Dan...right Dan. grin.gif

Peace,

SmellyJelly

Smelly, I'll give you a call when I get close to see where you are. See ya then.

Unfortunately, no shelter purchase this weekend. Gonna be a cold morning unless somebody has an extra spot. I'll still be out there at 8 on Monday.

Hey everyone, I'd like to go too. I have a wedding reception to attend in the evening, but I'll be there for the majority of the day. Are we targeting specific species, or, I suppose with the army of underwater cameras and such, we'll tailor presentation to whatever's down there. While I'm a "newbie" on this forum, I'm not a "newbie" to the game. Have the gear and an extra spot in the Guide. I'm very interested in meeting some fellow fishing fanatics. I'm a bit nervous about driving on the spring-filled Bear. I usually target much smaller lakes, since I have neither snowmobile or ATV. But, I've fished WBL several times in a boat. Will we spread out over the lake, or stay grouped?

Attention Spasticcp!

I am still stuck in Washburn, WI off of Lake Superior as my serpentine belt broke on my truck earlier this evening. I have to wait until tomorrow morning in order to fix it. Sorry for not getting there tomorrow.

Dan

I've got this on the calendar as well as the Rush Lake date in February.

I'm getting there on the equipment now I just need to learn how to use it to catch fish! Picked up an auger last week so down to just needing a shelter, but I think that will be a puchase either at the end of the season or for next year.

Really could use the directions to the Ramsey launch site.

I'm hopeful that by the 15th there won't be any issues on driving out in a full-size truck since I'm looking for ideas on how to transport my equipment onto the lake like sleds and portables--which means it will all be laying in the truck bed probably not real organized.

Could use some advice on bait since I'm not sure what we'll be targeting. The mention of using a tip-up I'm sure means bigger minnows like suckers or maybe shiners. Wax worms? Crappie minnows? Fatheads?

Looking forward to the 15th.

Looks like I’m going to miss this one guys. I’m going to head down to the “backwater brawl” near Wabasha. Hopefully I’ll see some of you at the Medicine Lake ICE event. Good luck out there and let us know how it goes.

Tripleplay,

Assuming you know how to get to downtown White Bear Lake, take highway 61 north through town. There will be a McDonald’s on your right and the next signal is Hwy 96, Take a right, FYI there will be a bait shop on your left just after you make the turn, if you don’t need any bait then continue on down 96, the park entrance will be on your right just down a ways from the bait shop.

Fishwonk-

I am glad to hear you can make it on the 15th. I will try to anser a few of your questions. There are a few of us from FM that are pre-fishing WBL before the event. We are trying to find good spots that are holding panfish/walleye/northern. So pack your gear accordingly ( I always tend to bring to much gear) and plan on having a good time. Most likely we will be sub divided into a few groups...that is if we want to.

Trucks,SUV's are buzzing all over WBL in a frenzy trying to find the hotspot. I am quit sure we will be able to drive our trucks,suv's on the day of the event.

Oh,before I forget...welcome to Fishing Minnesota.

Peace,

SmellyJelly

Could use some advice on bait since I'm not sure what we'll be targeting. The mention of using a tip-up I'm sure means bigger minnows like suckers or maybe shiners. Wax worms? Crappie minnows? Fatheads?

Tripleplay-We are going to target several different species of fish. From a "BAIT" stand point...I will be bringing all of the above you listed on the day of the event. What ever bait you don't bring, I will have and I am happy to share if needed.

Peace,

SmellyJelly

SmellyJelly,

I was hoping to get out on Saturday the 8th with one or more of my kids (12 yr olds)and was thinking of trying Coon Lake as it is close to my house. Are you going to be prefishing WBL next Saturday?

If so, are you interested in having a few more rods to work with? It will probably be a shorter day as I don't want to wear them out unless the fish are really biting. Just want to slowly work them into this as they all love to watch the bobber go under during the summer, but without a shelter I'm guessing the cold will shorten their attention spans.

Thanks

Ramsey beach is off of hwy 96, on the northwest side of the lake.

As for ideas on how to get your stuff out on the lake why not leave the truck and all the truck noise parked on shore and pull it out by hand and foot? That way you are gauranteed a nice dry truck at the end of the day.

As far as bait, I'd suggest waxies, maybe some crappie minnows and your choice of fatheads, suckers or shiners. You never know.

smellyjelly just let me know when you will be prefishing WBL i have never fished that lake in the winter and would love to.

iceman16

Thank you for making me feel welcome, Smelly Jelly! I can't wait to learn from some local gurus. I've been fishing my whole life, but, ya know, sometimes you get stuck in a rut. I haven't had much time to devote to my passion lately, and my honey hole for the past four years was absolutely looted last year. I'll never tell a bait store guy how good I've got it again; the lesson has been learned. Are you in the cities or suburbs? I live off 46th and 35w in Minneapolis, but my mom lives in WBL. I could be available for pre-fishing on the eighth, now that I think about it. I'll have my son with me this weekend, although, unfortunately, these days he's far more interested in Playstation than fishing. He was catching his own crappies at two! That's what happens when you're relegated to the role of weekend daddy, I guess- you're sphere of influence is somewhat diminished. Anyway, I'll check back about the pre-fishing, but I'll for sure get him fishing somewhere this weekend.

Triple,

I'll be out on Coon on either Wed, Thursday or both. I'll keep you posted on how the bite is out there if you plan on hitting it on Saturday. I replied to your other post about Coon lake as to where to fish it etc. in case you missed it previously.

To everyone,

If it's early enough on the 8th, I'd be interested in a little pre-fishing on WBL, but I'll more than likely be out there on the 9th. Probably not until 9-10am though.

And finally to goin fishin,

Got your post at about 1am that night so I didn't head out to WBL. Hope everything went ok and inexpensively with the truck. I hate being stranded myself. Thanks again for the heads up though.

Spastccip,

Thanks for the heads up about Coon on the other post. I'd really just like to fish with some experienced ice anglers the first few times until I get a feel for this. I'm concerned about driving out on an unfamiliar lake first off. Second since I don't know the lakes I'm unsure what area(s) to target.

I've caught fish through the ice on LOW, but I've never had to make a decision where to sink a hole, etc..

I can rig rods that have the possibility of catching fish as I've fished a ton during the summer, but I've never actually set a tipup. I've rigged a couple at home but I'm sure there are tips and tricks I should be doing.

I'm open to Coon or WBL on the 8th (Saturday) but I'll definitely be at WBL on the 15th so either way I'll be getting the help soon enough.

Thanks

I will be fishing WBL this Thurs.(1/6) after 3:30pm and Sun.(1/9) in the morning-afternoon hours if anbody is interested in joining me.

goin fishin is going to fish WBL Thurs. (1/6) in the morning-afternoon hours as well.

Peace,

SmellyJelly