Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dwag70

Straight VS Curved blades on ICE Augers

8 posts in this topic

What is the benefit or downfall to staight or curved blades. Is one better than the other. Any info would help me out

Assuming your refering to auger blades. I think curved blades are on augers with more than one blade and straight or chipper blades are a single.

Yes I am. I was lookin at the eskimo brand but any would do so if you buy a new auger and both are available for the same price which is better

Here is my take on it. Chipper blades cut slow but last a long time before you have to sharpen or replace. Shaver blades cut very fast but need to be sharpened often or replaced often. If you want to save some cash, go with the chipper blade. If you don't mind spending extra money for resharpening, get the shaver blades. Thats my 2 cents!

Thanks,

That is what I needed to know

I'm totally with JLM on this one... Shaver blades do cut faster, there is no doubt. Yet they can ice up and then they almost have to melt thier way threw the ice. Chipper blades hardly ever ice up and dont need sharpening very often.

I myself am a chipper kind of guy. So it takes me 10 seconds longer to get threw 2 feet of ice... big deal!

so IF I want my blades to last a long go with chippers which are straight blades

correct????

Yup.