Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
full force five

Women Lake

6 posts in this topic

I'm going up to Women this weekend, how's the ice look? I understand that Girl is OK but how is Women lake ice?

I would say it will be ok this coming weekend. It was 14 below Sunday morning up there. If that doesn't make ice I don't know what would grin.gif

The forecast is for bitter cold weather all week this week so I'm guessing you should be fine, even with a four wheeler for next weekend. I was on Woman Lake last weekend and there was about 4-6 inches of ice on Broadwater Bay. I wasn't on the main lake but I think it would have been a little iffy since it freezes over later than Broadwater. With all this cold weather, I would bet the ice would be as thick, or thicker there this upcoming weekend as it was on Broadwater last weekend.

By the way... I'll be up there this weekend too for Christmas but I'm not sure if I'll be fishing.

Well it should be fine now after the last few nights. I don't think I'll even need the wheeler as we fish right in front of the cabin. Thanks for the info.

I was out on the east side of the main lake yesterday. My family lives in the harbor on the east side - north if Pikie Point, and south of the Gold Coast area.

Not nearly as much ice as I expected with the subzero temps lately, I went out with an ATV and my Otter, first hole I drilled was only about 20 yards from shore, 7 inches of ice - and this area has been iced over for a couple of weeks now.

There are patches of snow, and patches of ice all over the lake. Where I was, the ice patches had 8-9 inches of ice, the snow patches had 6-7 inches.

As of tuesday (or maybe it was thursday) of last week there was a strip if open water that extended north to south on the east side of the island. You can kind of see where it was as it is not snow covered. Although with the cold weather, and lack of snow cover I would not be surprised if there was over 6 inches of ice there as well - but I am not going to find out yet...

It has been exteremely cold up here, this morning (Thursday the 23rd)when I got up it was 19 below zero, yesterday the high was around 5 below.

I fished for a few hours near the gold coast, caught one pike and one 12 inch walleye, and a perch. Also got bitten off by anther pike.

On the way back in last night I broke through some slush and sprayed water all over the place, made my heart skip a beat... I am not much of an early ice guy, I prefer a good solid 12 inches of ice below my feet. Actually, 6 inches is the thinnest ice I have ever fished on...

Today I hope to venture over to broadwater bay, but that is a long haul from where my family lives over on the east side of the main lake.