Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bwtrout

Updating a power auger drill unit

10 posts in this topic

I own a old strikemaster magnum III, model 107, 33cc power auger. Runs like a champ. Any thoughts on me spending $140 on a new 8" lazer drill unit to replace the old chipper drill unit? (The lazer will fit)

That's what I'm going to do, switching from a chipper blade to a two or three blade drill,probably gonna get the the three bladed unit I,m starting to drill way more holes on each outing and I just want that part to be easier. grin.gif

My dad has an older Magnum III and I just bought the new Lazer Mag Express(2-blade lazer) and I can cut circles around him. I haven't challenged him in contest yet, but maybe later today I'll take him out on the ice! smirk.gif

I think it would be a good idea to upgrade.

Bwtrout, I saw D-rock in New Brighton had new/rebuilt Strikemaster auger bits in the 2 blade style for I think around $35, that was a deal and a half. Try calling to see if they have any thing left, save you some money.

grin.gif now that sounds like a deal. I don't think you can buy a set of new blades for that.

I picked up an 8" Lazer auger at the Ice Show. Cost me $125 but was an easy swap. I have an old Mag III but it is a 49cc which according to Strikemaster is the same size powerhead on the newer models. Haven't had the opportunity to try it yet but expect much easier cutting than the old chipper style. If you can find the auger only for $35 I'd go for it. You may want to contact the factory to see if there would be any issues with the powerhead size you have.

Update, just thought I would call to see if they had any left. Only 6" The lady said they sold out of the ones I saw last year. But after the Forest Lake fishing contest they will have more she said. FYI

My grandpa did the swap on his old Mag III. He picked up his Lazer 8" from D-Rock. His doesn't have the power point on it but it cuts really nice too.

I'm not totally positive but I think the gear ratios are different. His Mag III power head turns the auger a lot slower than my Lazer Mag Express. It still cuts great, it just turns the auger slower.

18 inch crappie

Could ya get me the number of that place with the cheap augers. psegriz at hotmail dot com

Thanx

griz-

drockicecenter dot com

They are located in New Brighton, Minnesota.