• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Buffalo Crappie Report

Was on Buffalo today from 6:30 to 3:30 in front of the Court House. We caught 15 plus crappie and 4 or so sunfish. The first half hour was easy then they got finicky. What finally work was (there were fish from the bottom (19')up about 5'all day was to slowly pull the small red glow jig with a wax worm up thru the fish they would just lightly inhale it. Some of or group of 12 didnt catch a fish. Also one of our group was in the 30' hole using a spring bobber he caught fish while the others didnt.

Nice job...you figured out a "trigger" mechanism...I didn't have as good a luck. I fished Middle Lake and marked fish all day. Tried iceflies, tiny (1/64th) jigs, plain hooks in red and white glow, waxies, minnows, jigging, deadsticking, slow retrieves, fast retrieves, I tried trolling the weedline (drilled 483 holes, all connected to one another, then slowly drove my Ford Ranger along side the holes, pulling a tiny Mepps Spinner out the window)...nothing worked! Caught 2 crappies in about 4 hrs. Released them both and stopped at Cub Foods on the way home... grin.gif --AK

------------------
"I fish. Therefore, I am...(hungry...)"

I was out on Buffalo from 1pm-5pm over the hole. I didn't bring any waxies, and I'm sorry for that. Guy right next to me was on waxies, he caught 5 in the same 4 hours. I was on crappie minnows, I caught one and had a bunch of bait lickers, lost them all - gotta relax and let them eat, I keep telling myself! smile.gif I was using really small minnows, too. They are still light biters, but yes, they are waking up!

Just to inform everyone to use caution on the park access I pulled a kids car out of the road 2 days ago there was a hole in the road that was big enough for them to drop a tire in. I really dont know how they got as far as they did in a car as the road is kind of nasty. fished in the deep hole for about a hour and caught 6 crappies, still biting really light. wax worms and small jigs about 18 to 20 feet down. I havent had any luck all winter trying to catch the fish in the lower depths when they are stacked up ,only have been able to coax some off the top of the schools.

Don't you just love it, when people drill holes right in the middle of a plowed road? Too lazy to walk in the snow away from a plowed roadway...now the wind driven snowmelt swirls into an open hole and creates a bigger hole! Just be more careful if you're out there at night...

Ya, I was just thinkin' tonight driving home there that I don't think I'd be out at night right now if I didn't scout a path during the day, this makes me feel justified.

Permanent houses are almost all off Buffalo.

I got out on buffalo today around 11 and fished until 730, managed 6 craps is all but all were eatin size so not complaining. Noticed all most all the permanant houses were off like the last post said. Question tho, why don't the dummys with there 100 mile an hour snowmobiles tear up the lake now instead of buzzing by us a month ago? They darn near got the whole lake now and nobody to piss off.........

maybe because its 40 degrees out and water on the ice,not so much fun on a sled,and all the garbage the so called fishermen have left for somebody who really cares about our lakes including me to pick up,not very fun to run over propane bottles on a sled,so everyone out on the lakes please pick up the garbage so we all dont have to see it out crappie fishing this spring,and so the people who actually live on the lake wont call all the ice fisherman slobs

I really doubt the hole in the road was made by a fisherman. what happens when you plow roads on a lake is you end up with the large drifts on the edge of the road which greatly adds to the weight in a smaller area. all you need then is a small crack for the water to push up through from the snow weight,as the water is forced up it continues to cut the whole bigger. seen this happen before when we used to plow bait ponds.

Buffalo has been a ghost lake the past couple days. I've maybe seen 5 people out total.

What is the ice conditions like? Water on the ice? Can you drive out there? I have tomorrow off would like to go there. Any help would be great.

Dunno about this morning or last night, but prior to that, the slush-melt on top had refroze. I saw minivans and full size trucks out on Tuesday on top of frozen slush. Two weekends ago, I measured the ice on Buffalo at 21".

I'd stay off Pulaski, tho.

For the last couple days, I've seen full size trucks out on Lake Sarah, too.