Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
marblei

River navigation north of Monte.

6 posts in this topic

Would like some quick/basic info on River navigation north of Monte. (I am very familiar with river south of monte through Otsego)I have only gone up to the start of the islands at the Nuke plant. Is the navigation north of the plant straight forward? How is that stretch, depth, current, etc compared to south of monte)I do have a jet, so "ovious" hazards are my main concern. Is navigating around/through islands difficult or is main channel easily distinguished. Does the river open up past the islands, if so how far?? (guess I'm pretty cluelss here) Thanks in advance.(ofcourse any info on 'smallie' pop is also appreciated!!.. smile.gif )

I have a flat bottom with a regular motor and I made it from clearwater very close to monti last year when the river was super low. Had two area's that were tough at night. I would think that with the water level now and the jet you should be fine. I know there are a few other guys here that are on the river more than I am that can tell you about any hazards.

Yea I only encountered a few bad areas. It seemed like all the areas that were 6" deep there were areas on the side of it that were 1-3' and easily navigable if you were careful. Do you have a V or a flat bottom HT? The bad areas I would use my trolling motor set on five and bring it just below the surface to try and get through them. I also don't mean to imply that I did 25 through those areas because I travel slow. The two worst areas for me last year were right below Monti and a few miles north of Clearwater. Don't know maybe I am just lucky!?!?! I should add that It doesn't bother me to get a ding in the boat. I know its not a Ranger or one of those awesome River Pro's. I am usually the one you watch and think " Man that guy is never gonna make it." Trust me I have had to get out and walk a few times.

If you see me I am in a mid 80's tracker. Feel free to say "Hi". I fish the Clearwater to Becker areas mostly. I can always use a lesson from some of you river guys smile.gif

[This message has been edited by panolo (edited 06-23-2004).]

[This message has been edited by panolo (edited 06-23-2004).]

It's very rocky around the islands near the nuke plant. After you get past the islands, maybe a 1/2 mile, it "opens" up some for a stretch until you get near the Becker landing. It gets really bad from the Becker landing North for about 1/2 mile. There are stretches where it's not too bad, but experience is the only way to find out. I drifted down it last year a few times and I found plenty of areas where it was only 6 inches deep.

Panolo, you need to show me the channels you took! I was always hitting bottom on my old boat.

I have a Tracker Jet now, so it's not a problem getting up stream. Last year I was using a 16' Lund and banged it around alot. There were a couple of areas where I couldn't find a way to get upstream with the 20hp Johnson.

I'm sure I'll see you out there. Flag me down.

thanx for the info...Im deff. heading out this Sat am, sat pm, sun am. Not sure if Ill make up past monte or not this week end, but most certainly gonna take a shot at it over the 4th week end......Have the entire three day week end booked for fishing....sun up to sun down...