Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Navigator

Upper Miss report.

7 posts in this topic

Well, the walleye action this past weekend went from great to good (great on Sat & good on Sun). I was fishing areas that held decent numbers of 15" to 19" fish, throw in an occassional smallie or northern and the fishing was very consistent throughout the day. I pitched mainly jig/plastic combo's from Catch-n tackle company. The new scented ringworms worked great with ring-n tubes taking a close 2nd. Nav

------------------
Jon Navratil
Navigator Guide Service
www.naviguides.com
Central MN rivers & lakes

Hey Nav, what were the water temps like on the section of river where you were?

Hawgtide,
No idea. I was using my john boat and all I have is an FL-8 flasher on it. Sorry?? Nav

------------------
Jon Navratil
Navigator Guide Service
www.naviguides.com
Central MN rivers & lakes

hawgtide,

You looking to do some "northern" fishing up there or something - just teasing. I can't wait to get up there, explore and start nailing the bass after opener.

Although, I was reading on the open water forum page about opener results and if you didn't know any better you would think that bass opener was this last weekend. Seems like a bunch of people were unintentionally "targeting" bass - does that makes sense? Saying they are going for northerns, 'eyes, etc... but really sticking it to the bass. I even queation some of the lure selections mentioned (are ring'n tubes a walleye or northern bait? - don't get me wrong ring'n tubes are awesome but seem more of a bass bait in my opinion) I guess I don't get it - or maybe I'm just jealous! wink.gif

Ring-N Tubes, Ring-N Worms and Ring-N Grubs are excellant walleye bait. wastewaterguru, Dennis Steele, Navigator and a lot guys use them for walleye. Very effective too.

BigMike, you really should experiment with plastics going after walleyes, you might be very pleasantly surprised.

Prior to opener I was targeting only crappies and sunfish moving all over and catching bass. Both Smallies and Largemouth, but very few. However, I caught a LOT of sunfish and crappies - using plastics only.

I haven't used live bait yet this open water season and I've caught plenty of walleye, sauger, crappies, sunfish, and (a few) bass. I wasn't targeting them although I could have done so legally on the Mississippi.

Don't forget Super-Dos. They are a great river bait for any species. They have a little weight to them so they don't washout in the current like tubes and small grubs.

Super-Dos

------------------
Ray Esboldt

Catch-N Tackle
MarCum
Stone Legacy

[This message has been edited by Ray Esboldt (edited 05-18-2004).]

Well BigMike, I guess you better start learning more about Walleyes and Northerns before you knock the lures! smile.gif Ha! I guess we'll see you out there with your tubes this weekend? wink.gif

I might give the river a try this weekend. I've caught a few walleyes and my Dad caught a big Northern (37 inch) in the Becker area. I've got no problem dealing with my conscience because I know that I'm targeting Pike or Walleyes. I'll be using gaudy colored lures that Pike seam to like, not Plastice Crawfish, Senko's, etc.

[This message has been edited by HawgTide (edited 05-18-2004).]