Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cpt. Fish

Camping on islands?

5 posts in this topic

I thought I heard some where that you can camp on any island in the Mississippi. Is this true? Thanks!

I went with friends a couple of years ago where the St. Croix and the Mississippi meet. We stayed on an island on the Mississippi. I guess it is a popular island, and the people I was with said you had to get there early or we wouldn't get it. We pitched tents. I assume it was legal. I'd call or e-mail the MN DNR if you have any questions. Have fun!

I believe it depends on who owns the island, and what their regulations state. In most cases on the big rivers, they would be owned by the county or a city. I thought I just read in this week's CityPages (Best place to camp?)that it was illegal to camp on the ones in Mpls.

I think it might be illegal to camp on the islands in minneapolis, but i have fished all night on the big one north of 694 and no one has said anything. I would call and ask to make sure,but I betif the island is big enough that people can't see your tent from shore there wouldn't be a problem.
><>deadeye

I've camped on islands north of the cities.