Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tour. Pro 175

Open Water Season Over

20 posts in this topic

I woke up this morning to find our stretch of the river S. of Little Falls completely froze over. I guess it's official, time to put the boat away.

I suppose your right. I've been in denial. I've got to find a storage place.

I'm gonna try to get one more shore-trip in. It's kind of fun casting around the ice-rafts.

TourPro175,
Ya know the Pike Creek tributary near Ch. Ldbrg S.P.? I saw a ton of abandoned beds back in there in early June - do you know if I was looking at crappie beds, or smallie beds?

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
"The bow is set to distant shore,
then loss is gained and gains once more.
When beach is reached and sails are torn,
the journey is it's own reward."

[This message has been edited by Aquaman01 (edited 11-07-2003).]

Aquaman,

You said "a ton" I'm going out on a limb here and say sunfish. There are some very nice bluegills on this stretch. They could also have been crappies. If the water is clear next spring {late May} I'll check it out and post what I find.

Stay warm,
Paul

[This message has been edited by Tour. Pro 175 (edited 11-08-2003).]

Hawgtide, how does the water look up around Monti? Is it frozen over yet? I was thinking of one last shore outing this coming weekend if the weather heats up like they say it's suppose to. It's either that or I'll probably be driving down over to the 'Croix or Lake Pepin. I am in denial of the impending hard water.

BigMike, it's not frozen yet. You might can hit some holes from the shore. I would be surprised if you didn't catch a few smallies around Monticello, if you can get to the deeper pockets.

My problem is that I have to stop cold turkey. I can't keep hanging on, or I won't be able to sleep at night. My boat is going in today. frown.gif

Hawgtide,
I feel the same way, but I just can't bring myself to put down the pole just yet! I've been cut off for the last two weeks and it's killing me. I'm already getting bored of reading fishing magazines and I've practically memorized the fishing catalogues wink.gif I've already got my christmas list for the next three years LOL. I've got to get out sometime before it ices over or I don't know what I'll do all winter. I'm just looking for some open water with some deeper pockets or with a little warmer water.

Hey guys,
It aint over till the end of Feb near Monti. The throry that you have to look deep is not all true either. The influence of the plant elevates the water temp uo to 50+ degrees! Also if you try right below the dams, assuming you can get to them from the launches, fishing can really turn on on warmer days. Just my two cents.

I fish around St. Cloud and know a few folks who fish the monti stretch below the plant until the season is over. There have been claims of 50 fish days in Jan!

NEVER GIVE UP!

Those are old fishing legends. I was there yesterday and the river was frozen solid. smile.gif

Hawgtide, I know...I don't know anyone who would even contemplate fishing that stretch... I don't even think there is any fish there, frozen or not wink.gif.

Who are you guys trying to fool? - lol grin.gif

I was just trying to pull a fast one on Ebass cool.gif I guess I'll be ice fishing on the monti stretch this weekend LOL! Me and ice, yeah right! Anyone want to hit the shores with me...might have to hike 15-20 minutes to get to some holes, but might be some quality fishing, especially with this warmer weather. 60 degrees here in woodbury right now. It's gonna cool off tonight and tomorrow, but this weekend looks like mid 40's as of right now (knock on wood)

Smallie_hoggin knows what he is talking about guys. Trust me. It may not be easy, but he knows a little something about the river.

Anyway, there were 2 guys fishing the river tonight in waders at the public launch in Monti. One guy was out in the middle of the river. I guess I didn't realize it was that shallow.

Thanks Biglake,
Went for an hour yesterday at St. Cloud, water was all of 32.7!!!! But fish were hitting. Keep in mind I don't use bait either. I only managed two samllies, three walleye and a northern, but, it felt **** good to be out. I should have gone to monti, just didn't have enough time. Oh well. Good luck to all.

I've actually been contemplating getting a pair of waders and get out on some of these awesome smallie stretches of river! I'm saving for the boat, but a good pair of waders wouldn't put that big of a dent in the boat fund. Plus I could use the waders around some of the lakes a little closer to home too. I'll have to see.

I'm for sure going to try and get out this weekend for some smallie action around Monti. Should be interesting to see how this weekend ends up looking...I may be sharing the waters with a few more people if it stays warm (40+)

Smallie Hogger

If you don't use bait, can you clue us in on your technique?

Dynamite????

smile.gif

It's called dynamite! LOL

Anyone else here planning on trying to do some shore fishing this weekend around monti?

Nope
Its deer season. Not smallie season!!!
smile.gif

More shoreline for me smile.gif. And who said anything about smallies...I'm going for carp. LOL

The day I fish for carp is the day I... well let's just say I will never fish for carp.