Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dean Schellinger

Smallmouth Bass

4 posts in this topic

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could help me out here. I have been trying to locate some numbers of decent sized smallmouth bass on the Mississippi. I usually use topwater baits such as buzzbaits and poppers, but would like to find a new method that would help me catch more fish when its windy or the conditions are not right for topwater. I would really appreciate any tips hints or techniques that could help me catch more fish. Thanks alot in advance FT.

Have you ever tried Mepp Spinners? Smallies love them. #3 and #4 seem to work great on the bigger ones.

Thanks eyeguy, I have tried Mepps spinners occasionally, they never seemed to really produce many fish. But i will give them another try. I heard tube jigs work well too. I have been experimenting with many baits but nothing seems to be consistant in catching nice smallies.

Went out last night and nailed 12 dandy smallies all on Mepps. Tonight I had 1 miss and 1 spit the hook. Must be the weather, can't be me, heehee. My fishing partner and I have probably caught and released over 100 between 15 and 19 inches over the last 2 weeks. All on Mepps. Good luck and keep your lines wet. <>< <><