Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aquaman01

The Crow in St. Michael?

11 posts in this topic

Anything happening on The Crow in St. Michael lately?

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
Peace and Fishes

Haven't fished it, but it looks pretty high right now. Vern

Drove by yesterday and the water at Bernings was really moving. I didn't bother to stop and wet a line.

Fished bernings on Sunday for a bit using crawlers. Very VERY tiny cats biting. That's it. Went to the Missi and the same tiny cats were there too.

Are the big cats spawning right now. Before we started to get the rain and the river was low I had a nice day with some 2-3 pound kittens, but ever since then only minnow size cats.

Aquaman01, where is Montsippi park? And is there a deep hole that can be casted to or is it shallow? I remember you talking about the big kitty you caught. Kinda jealous.

Later,
EBass

<<Channel catfish spawn mostly in May and June in Minnesota when the water temperature reaches 24° C (75° F). The male finds the site, which is typically a dark cranny under a ledge or log, some tree roots, or on a mud bottom if the water is very turbid (cloudy).>>

Montissippi is a couple of miles north of Monticello on Hwy 75. I honestly can't tell you exactly where the kitty was, just the general area.

Down stream from the pier about 15 feet is a downed tree - panfish and sometimes smallies - but she takes her toll in tackle. If you walk on the tree you'll shut the bite down. Downstream from there about another 20 feet is a hump that you can find with a pencil float and something almost dragging the bottom. I think it was behind that hump. I was honestly fishing for carp at the time, and just cast into an area that had held carp & sucker in the past.

Could've been a fluke, but folks who frequent there report cats.

The park has a good bike trail right along the river and I've seen tons of structure upriver from the pier. I'm always with a child, so I stay close to the parking lot. Might be too fast for channels right now, though. Dunno. Give it a go, and let us know.
smile.gif

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
Peace and Fishes

I caught about a 5lb cat there last fall. Smallies are definately the dominant species on this stretch.

Thank you. I'm going to the big pond this weekend, but maybe the next weekend after that. I'll give it a shot, but you're right the river is really moving now. I've been fishing the deeper holes (during the day) and can only get the kittens to bite. No mama cats. When I go I'll post my results.

Thanks Aquaman01

Fished the Crow yesterday from Rockford to Hanover. Caught a few small channel 10"-14", more than enough suckers, three walleyes 15"-16.25", and two smallies one that went about 3lbs. The Cats,suckers, and one smallie were caught dragging a crawler. The walleyes were caught casting deep diving cranks. Watch out for the crank eating logs near shore.

Good luck

Mr. Special are you floating that stretch by canoe? I have been thinking about putting on my waders once the river slows down.

Actually I'm fishing from shore. I drive alone the river looking for a likely spot, and make sure there isn't a No Trespassing sign around and start casting. Usually I'll see others there and it pretty afe to fish than. I start from HWY 55, all the way to Hanover. Give about 30mins in each spot. There is a launch, dock right in town at Rockford and you can buy bait at the hardware store off of HWY55.

Good luck

Went back to the Crow yesterday. My cousin caught a 5lbs walleye, I got shunked on wallys and lost to of my favorite Rapala's. Did manage to hook into some norherns though. They were very willing to take what ever you threw down. Not the biggest fish but still fun.

Good luck