• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Preferred Shot size for Quackers?

Okay,

I'm going to purchase a case of steel here and was curious what the majority of you use. I'll be hunting over deeks 80% of the time. Generally using a Benelli Nova or Black Eagle with 3" Shells. I've generally used #2 shot but I do buy an occasional box of 3 1/2" BB shot for the occasional Goose. I'm thinking if I want #1 or #2 shot or heck even #3 of #4's your opinions?

------------------
Tight Lines,
JP Z

I'd go with #2's. Early in the season when the ducks probably haven't been shot at yet, you could get away with #3's or #4's because they are coming in pretty close and pretty fast. As the season goes on, I use #2's for their bigger size and heavier knock down strength. If you live in the St.Paul area, watch for Joe's Sporting Goods annual ammo sale Sept. 11. They will have Federal Speed Shok, 3" steel shot at $6.99 a box. And I do believe if you buy a case you get an additional $5 off the case price.

[This message has been edited by esoxguy2004 (edited 09-02-2004).]

If you are buying a case of shells why don't you get a few of each. I bought a case at Sportsmans Wearhouse last year and they let me mix shot sizes as long as they were the same price. I shoot 2's and 3's for ducks over the dekes. I may use a box of 4's for opening day. A lot of close in teal. If you hit a teal head one with a 3.5" 2 you won't have to clean it because the feathers should be off when it hits the water. Just my thoughts.

I'll even step up to bb's for the northern birds late season.They get thicker quicker up there and you gotta knock em out of the sky !

------------------
Greg

I agree with Crappiebait on that account. Those late season northern mallards sometimes take bb's to knock out of the sky.

I shoot 3 inch #2's till midseason then switch to BB for those late season canadien mallerds.

#3 if its early season, and we have woodies and teal around.
#1 or 2 if Mallards are around

Late season, BB or #1

I also bought a mixed case of shot sizes, just for the reasons above. Depends what time of year, where I am at, and what is flying.

I went with a case of #2's should've maybe bought a mixed case but these were Estate so I think I'll pick up some other ammo in BB.

------------------
Tight Lines,
JP Z

I start with 3" 4 shot for the first two weeks and then switch over to 3 1/2" 2s for the rest of the season. 2s work just fine for everything from late season mallards to big honks and the late season and early spring snow geese.
Use whatever has worked for you in the past.

FARLEY, Get a copy of the new waterfowl regs.It might change your thinkin on the "T" shot.

------------------
Greg

Crappiebait,

What do you mean. I just scanned through the Regs and the supplimental info and didn't see anything. What should we be looking for.

------------------
Tight Lines,
JP Z

I don't have my copie with me,but I "thought" I read in there about the bennifit of useing steele and something about the proper size shot.I'm almost willing to go out on a limb here and say they have discontinued making some of the T's & F's.I may not have read this there I'll do some research when I get home.So before anyone over reacts to my comments,DON'T.But I did read something about it. smile.gif

------------------
Greg

Huh, I guess I never heard anything about that. If it's true, it's a darn good thing I have some left over from last year. I like shooting the T shot with my shotgun since it only loads 2 3/4 inch shells, but I have access to a 870 that I can use for geese and load up with 3" BB or BBB. But I cant imagine that they would discontinue T and F shot.

[This message has been edited by Farley (edited 09-02-2004).]

i use 3inch #1 and #2 i buy a box or 2 of bbs for the geese that comma flyin around me but one kids day hunt i used 7 shot steel and killed a goose but ya

No, it's the F shot that is no longer made. Only T's, BBB and lower is now available.

Anyhow, I used to shoot 4's. When we switched to steel they said to use 2 numbers higher than you would with lead. I shot 6's so 4's was what I went with. Show's how much the so-called experts knew at the time about steel.

For really close, in-yo-face type shooting, 4's did the job, but out 30 yards, they quickly loose their punch.

Now I shoot 2's almost all season. I will however, go to 1's a little later when the big Northern, down-filled mallards arrive. Need that little extra to penatrate the feathers and fat grin.gif

I use 3" #3 generally for ducks & some #2's. Often I'll start out with 2 3's & the last shell being a 2 thinking that's likely to be a longer shot if I get to it.

I still dont understand why people insist on shooting T's and F's..???? I kill geese fine with 2's or BB's.. I might switch to t's and f's for skyblasting if thats what I did, but a 3" load of steel BB's will anihilate a decoying goose at 30 yards. I've seen the same effects with 2's. And if your decoying wont your shots be under 30 yards anyway?? Gotta shoot em in the lips!! You can shoot em in the @$$ all you want with cannon balls and it still aint gonna kill em!!

Geese I shoot 3 1/2" BBB. Sometimes I load up my last shot with a Hevi-Shot #2. Find the highest velocity in steel you can get in my opinion. I have used several loads from several companies and all around the new federal loads work VERY WELL. Ducks I use strictly #4 from early to late season. I have dropped several late season Geese at 30-40yds with them - dead. Given the choice I'd load up BBB though. I used 2's and 3's when steel came out but it has come a long ways and now it just seems 4's do the trick. I think there is better penetration with the smaller pellets and now that the speed is getting up there they also have some knockdown power that carries out a little further. For some reason i have been stubborn about trying that out for geese just because of my confidence in the BBB's. My choices are probably more effective for me because that is what patterns well out of my gun with the choke I use.

I shoot 2's at ducks and BBB's at geese.

It's a lot easier to only have 2 different kinds of shells for me to keep track of.

I buy whats on sale or has the best rebate. Weather thats bb,1,2,3,4. Doesn't matter what you throw at them if you dont hit them smile.gif

I use #4 Kent Fasteel for opener thru late October, then move on to 1 or 2 shot for the rest of the year. But also keep a box of BBB or T for geese (I can only shoot 2 3/4 out of my Winchester).

Four steel opening weekend, two steel after that. The two steel is also a good pheasant load, so I just stick to that, don't have to worry about having the wrong size shells in.

F shot for geese on early goose season.

I am a big fan of Kent Fasteel. I shot it all last year and either my shooting was better(doubtfull) or the Kents have some good knockdown power. I shoot 4's early and 2's after a couple of weeks into the season. For geese I use BB's, but I was talking to a guide at the Game Fair and he said all he shoots is Kent Fasteel #1's for geese. I too think velocity is the key to the new steel loads.

CRAPPIEBAIT, that is interesting! It proves that bigger isn't always better!!! Might have to rethink on that F shot and save it for cats and coyotes!

I do know my brother has shot a lot of geese with that F shot and swears by it. When you hit them, down they come.

Curly,
That is an interesting question. I hope we get a lot of responsed on it. For ducks and geese I use a modified. That being said, my main hunting buddy uses improved cylinder. I bought one of those patterning kits and we tested it out with the different chokes and different guns. They both consistantly produced the same overall spread, but the modified was a lot more concentrated in the middle. The improved was pretty uniformally spread out on the target. I have been looking at the Briley duck and goose chokes and thinking about going with one of those. Does anybody use them?