Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
the squirrel

lead head jigs & loons

the squirrel

Watched a news story last night showing the effects of lead poising and loons. Needless to say it was disturbing! What is the alternative out there guys?

I did see the same report. I have a hard time believing that a jig , especially the size they used in the film , would be injested by a loon or any other diving waterfowl. I would expect that the hook would do more damage than the long term effect of lead poisening. Split shot on the other hand would be easier for them to swallow. I do not own or have not tried to purchase any of the bismuth jigs or split shot. I do use some of the brass and steel bullet sinkers for live bait rigging.
Dino

Many companies are working on alternatives to lead. We'll see the day when lead is all but absent from the marketplace. Its adverse affects in the ecosystem have been well documented.

There was a pretty spirited discussion here on this subject in the spring. I suspect there might be another. As for me, I'll try to make the voluntary switch and hope we don't move so far as to have compulsory legislation -- the key to it all is the manufacture. Put the spinnerbaits, jigs, split-shot, bottom bouncers and the rest in the marketplace and I'll buy them.

Fisher Dave

As a previous tackle manufacturer I do know more than most about this subject. One of the major problems with switching to all non-toxics is not only the fact that bismuth is so rediculasly expensive ... another major factor is that our lead melting equipment and probably molds ( not sure on this ) wont work with bismuth. Not to mention the specialy tools for working with lead. Steel is much cheaper than bismuth, but this poses all of the same problems and a few different problems, and the weight to size ratio is far different.

Please dont take me wrong. I would have loved to work with all non-toxics if it were possible on tackle manufacturing, but it wasnt. It would cost an incredible amount of money to come up with the products to switch over... not to mention pay to design the products that do not exist as of yet. Unless we are all prepared to spend $25 a spinnerbait, or $6 for a bottom bouncer ,, we need to let technology catch up a little bit and provide equipment for manufacturers to use. I guarantee there are people working on designing these products as I speak. But they are not readily available yet.

We need Bill Gates to become a tackle equipment manufacturer .. he is about the only one that could afford to *speed things up*. Other than that its going to take huge investments from many companies to make this happen. Even then this is going to take time.

Fishing cant be just a sport for the rich. If the price is too high for the tackle once a ban would ever happen there would be countless individuals out there cooking lead producing tackle for anyone that would pay .. overall the ecosystem wouldnt be protected in the least bit.

I agree the lead isnt good for animals, birds, or humans alike. But a solution has to be reached that will work for everyone within reasonable guidelines. Including small tackle companies or tackle makers that have to provide for their families off the proceeds, who also provide just enough competition to the big tacklemakers to keep prices reasonable.

Companies are already producing substitute material tackle -- and they are not getting outrageous prices.

No one said it would happen overnight. But, it will happen.