• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Young Dog, Early Geese Season

FISHER ED

Bring your dog out and have some fun. Last season my 1 year old lab had no experience with a goose and his first one turned out to be a runner that neither my wife nor I could catch up to. I was a little concerned but he jumped on that goose and held it down until I could get to it. You would be surprised how well they can handle themselves when they are in the "zone". Now that he has one season under his belt I can't wait to bang some birds this Fall. I already know it's going to be a good one. Good luck. Ed

I'm considering taking my 1-year old black lab out for the early goose season. Judging from the fields I've scouted I expect to do well. Anyways, what does everyone think about using geese for his first field retrieves? He is well trained and has retrieved plenty of dead ducks during training, but I am a little worried a lively goose might whap him a couple times and make him shy away from retrieving. At the same time I'm very anxious to get him out and knock some birds down in a nice mowed field where he can see what's going on.

He's about 70-75 pounds and fairly mellow on most issues other than retrieving and eating. smile.gif

Thats an easy one Lowe, just shoot small geese...LOL! I agree, this is a concern. However, if you have had training with live birds, I think he will be fine. If he does get a beak full of love from a goose and becomes shy, you should keep a big goose and freeze him after you have breasted it out. Use it for training purposes for about a week or so and the problem will be solved. Good luck!

I'm no expert, but I'd say no one knows your dog like you do. If you think it will be fine then take him out and both of yas have a blast.

Never know, it may just surprise ya how ready it really is.

I’ve taken my last three female labs goose hunting by age 7-8 months.
Just make sure that the first introduction to a goose is a good one!!
Remember, headshots.
A winged goose can by a tough customer. If it’s winged, go retrieve it together.
Let him/her get a few good licks in on it before you ring the neck. It may take a few times, take it slow, but once they get confidence they’ll want you to just wing them so that they can have a good scrap.
I love goose hunting with my labs!

Crusher

What I would suggest is that you bring her but your focus should be on handling her and not shooting birds. There is a lot of excitment and choas on opening morning. It's still fairly dark, there are people, guns going off, loud noises, muzzle flashes, calling, birds falling. When the first group comes in let your group shoot and just keep her from breaking and then let her retrive the geese. Then depending on how it goes pick up the gun.

Good point by superfish2! Like I said take it slow. I have had the luxury of hunting geese/training my dogs by myself or at most having one hunting buddy with. This person has the understanding then, that we are out more so for the dog than for ourselves. We also have the area to ourselves. This way there’s no pressure on you messing up your buddies hunts and cuts out other distractions for your dog. With a good start to your dogs training your time will be in the years to follow!Good luck.

Crusher

[This message has been edited by Crusher (edited 08-31-2004).]

Thanks guys.

This is private property and I'll probably only have my 12 year-old nephew with me. I will have the only gun unless my nephew changes his mind.

Of course only headshots, who would even think of winging one. grin.gif jk, I think I will take only very high percentage shots and cut down on the possibility of a PO'D Canadian. They're all big boys, too. Should be fun.