• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

A good trainer

fivebucks

I have 5 1/2 month old yellow lab that I'm looking to put in a puppy class and then maybe more later. I'm not looking for a trial dog etc., just someone to work the dog better than I can and who has enough time.I am in west metro so within an hour drive is what I'm looking for. Searching the previous posts has brought a few names up like Wings and Whistles in Watertown and Four Winds in the Buffalo-Monticello area. I also heard a former Dokken trainer has a place near St. Peter. I am going fishing in Alaska in Sept. when the pup is 7 months and thought that would be good for me to have him at school then. Is that a good age? Can anyone recommend the above kennels.

Thanks in advance for your input.

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 07-16-2004).]

I have my yellow up at Elk River Kennels now.This will be her 7th week there, she will be totaly ready to hunt when I pick her up in two weeks.
I don't have any think bad at all to say about them, they seemed to be alright.
I did have a couple of people tell me they had bad experiance with them.

I went there and spent an hour grilling them on the collar useage, how they do the forcefetch, and how they train in general.
I liked what I saw and heard so I picked them.Also because they are only 30 minutes from my door step.

There were a few out west that were mentioned as well, search for my posts as there was a good discusion on this subject.

Benny

fivebucks
My vote would be with Wings and Whistles. I hunted over many of his dogs and they are top notch. Don't wait to long to call him. I talked with him the other day and he was pretty busy.

Tailgunner Ranch and Kennel 507-469-0204 Roger Hess (St. Peter, MN)

I've brought my dog to him and he really seems to know his stuff. Great guy besides.

------------------
So many scientists, so few rockets.

Thanks for the replies. It worked out best timing etc. to go to the same kennel that my pup's sister is going to. It is West Country Kennels out near Glencoe. This guy came referred with high marks from the Virgil, the vet in Hutchinson and several people that had pups thru this kennel. Jack is enrolled for a 2 week puppy course starting Sept.4th. A friend who has his sister will drop him off there as I will be flying to AK on Sept. 2nd. I talked with the trainer over the phone also and got the responses I wanted to hear. Thanks for your input.

Tim at Four Winds is a really good trainer. He is a real down to earth guy that loves sit and BS. He is really good with the dogs and has a really good feel for them. Give him a call and check him out. Tell him Jess Kline mentioned his name.

------------------
Here for all you mortgage needs!
Jess T. Kline
[email protected]

I have 2 pups (6 mo) at Four Winds now for about 3 weeks. I was up there last Thursday to work with them and I'm very happy with their progress. Their heeling pretty well, getting steady at the line when the dummies are thrown/shot over. They can't seem to get enough retrieving. Tim was talking to me about how he has to work with each pup differently because of their different personalities. I knew that going in but it was good to hear that the trainer knows it and is working it into how he trains the dogs. So far so good......

What is the cost of something like this--- short or longer term training? Do you still have problems with the lab running from home or is there a way for them to help with that too?

My 2 week puppy course will cost me $350 birds included.

My pups are going to be at Four Winds for 3 months. I'll get them towards the middle/end of September, just in time for the seasons. Because I have 2 there, I'm spending $500/mo per dog and Tim's giving me a break on the cost of birds. This fall is going to be a blast!! (pun intended)