Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

rush city area

8 posts in this topic

i am new to the st. croix and have only fished from shore a couple of times. does any one fish the rush city area from a boat. Is it to shallow? any info would be great.

thanks, I have a 12' alumanum with a 5hp. Will this get up stream?

Good spot for the smallies. Water is shallow, however manuverable with small water craft.

That will work fine as long as the water is not too high. I use a 12' with a ten horse. Watch out for the sand bars.

I've taken my 12' flat-bottomed jonboat out there a couple of times. I did get into the rocks a few times w/my 8hp so I simply trimmed it up so that the prop was just barely in the water. Not so good for being quiet and sneaking up on fish but it got me around.

I also tried my transom-mounted electric with OK results. The flow is such that I really had to give it hell to get upstream in any sort of a timely manner.

No matter what, I think you can count on getting into some rocks. Be sure to bring extra shear pins.

Southerner

hey guys thanks for the responses. i think i will go try it tomarrow.

Anyone fish up by the mouth of the snake and kettle river much?

Dr. Smallie...

The mouth of the Snake has always been good. I've seen everything come out of that hole and one can usually catch something worthwhile. However, I would suggest wade-fishing it if you're after smallies; at least for me it makes for better mobility and less frustration trying to hold yourself in one spot in the current. You can't go wrong w/a buzzbait or other topwater that is compatible w/moving water.

Never tried the Kettle area but I'd imagine it's similar.

Southerner