Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Shiners, Fatheads or Crawlers?

10 posts in this topic

I am going out this coming Monday and was wondering if Shiners work better than Fatheads or Crawlers for Walleyes? I will be above the T.F. dam if that helps. Thanx!

Last weekend I had better luck using fatheads and crawlers. The bigger fish were caught on the crawlers. Good Luck

For this time of year, I second Stillno's response.
Turk

STILLNOFISH and Turk...Thanks for the reply. I am just about ready to head out, I'll let you know how we did. I think I will skip the Shiners and stick to Fatheads and Crawlers. I am also going to try small cranks now that bass is open.

Aftacrops,

How did you end up. My friend and I fished yesterday and caught around 50 walleyes with one 19 incher. Finally was able to avoid the sheephead, but was unable to find the bigger fish. All in all a great day.

STILLNOFISH...We only kept one 19" Walleye and one 10" Croppie. Lots of small 'eyes and slimers.

You guys weren't getting all of these fish in the Stillwater area were you? by chance, do you know anything about the fishing in that area right now?

Moses,

I fish the bayport to afton strech of the river. I will sometimes fish just south of the lift bridge as well. Yes we are catching several walleye around Stillwater, however most are small. The key is to try and find an area that hold the larger walleyes. Good Luck

Hey thanx alot for the reply! I will give it a try! I have like an hour drive to the launch from my house, so I am just curious... The launches get pretty packed on the weekends right? I would just hate to make a trip and not get on the water

Moses,

you can launch out of Beanies anytime during the weekend. They have a great setup for launching. The cost is around 12 dollars. Beanies is just south of the 94 brige in Lakeland) The nice part is you are right were some good fishing is. You can try under the 94 bridge(located right out from the launch or in the channel by a swing bridge just to the left of the launch. Get to the river early because the cruisers make there way out by afternoon. Good Luck