Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Anyone going out there or what?

7 posts in this topic

Has anyone been out there? I haven't had a chance to because of work and tinkering with boat. But someone must be out there! Tell us hungry not able to get out theres what's happening on the Criox!

------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~
/
<The Sucka{
\

I was out there at 6AM on Sunday. Fishing was a little slow. Caught a few smallies on topwater baits on the shallow rocks. Not as many as usual. Caught one 17" eye and 2 sheep trolling a perch jointed shad rap behind lead core line in 22-24' of water. The pleasure boaters forced me off by 11:00 or so. There was so much debris floating out there, I was afraid to put my boat up to plane.

The fishing has been very slow.The water two weeks ago was finally dropping close to normal and then 10 days ago it decided to go back up another 3-4 feet.If the water would just stabalize either high or low the fish would know what to do!We have been catching decent walleyes and smallmouth but not in numbers and alot of work involved.Now another surprise is just around the corner and that is the mayflies are just starting to show up.August is just around the corner and that has always been a very good month.The weather is perfect for boating low wind and hot/sunny enjoy the summer that hard water season is right around the corner.

chris

------------------
Chris's Croix Guide Service
http://fishingminnesota.com/stcroixguide/
(651) 458-1899
arndts@tcq.net
St. Croix River

I agree the bite has been off a bit. However if a guy likes sheepers and white bass he'd be in heaven, where these fins have been in the narrows. We must have caught about 50 sheeps and whites today. We also caught 3 eyes all right around 20.5 inches. I believe these fish are last years excellent quantity of 18 to 19 inchers which were two years ago 14"s... These fish are all very fat and highly tempting to pitch in the bucket as eaters but they are the top breeders (from what I understand). But naturally it's your call.

By the way on croixsippi.com I post reports often and do not always post the same reports here, I don't always get around to it...

Chris did you get my email response? Also I look forward to the hatch as I remember for what ever reason the Muskies!!! went nuts during the hatch last year. No I wasn't targeting them..

Also I'm pissed not really pissed, more disapointed, that the flatheads haven't hit any cranks or spinners this year..so far..

Keep Catchin'
Turk
www.croixsippi.com

Thanx for the input guys, I was starting to get a little down there for a second.
Hey Turk, a friend of mine who fishes up by the highbridge sometimes pulled a about 12 lb'er out of a hole around 25' deep with a plain 3 inch wire stick spinner and single hook and a fatty.

He caught some channels with it too he said, but he wasn't reeling like he was when he hooked the flathead. Pretty cool. He had also mentioned the gold-eyes, moon-eyes up there too! What's the easiest way to tell the difference between the two? He wasn't sure, and neither am I.

------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~
/
<The Sucka{
\

I was out on wensday up by Osceola. Fishing was pretty good. Not so much stuff floating in the water. It is still very dark. I found a couple of mud lines up in the back waters and they held fish like crazy. Mostly smallies and sheepies. I did find a few walleyes, white bass, mooneyes, sunfish, catfish, and the usuall rough fish.
The early morning bite was the best. It has been for most of the year now.
I tryed last friday in the high water. It was my worst trip of the year. That didnt suprise me. there was a ton of debrie in the water that night. It has cleared up quite a bit since then.
Good luck fishing

Turk,
I did get your e-mail we will have to hook up I got some hot jiggin coming up in august that you would be impressed with for the "eyes"!Maybe we could trade off a couple of mornings soon.Where do you live??The best days to get out for me are sundays and mondays does any of that work for you?I will let you know when I have time.I haven't been able to stop and catch my breath all summer and from the sound of your e-mail you know what I'm talking about!!!It's pretty bad when you say you been too busy with family and fishing.Life is good I guess??!!

chris

------------------
Chris's Croix Guide Service
http://fishingminnesota.com/stcroixguide/
(651) 458-1899
arndts@tcq.net
St. Croix River