Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  

Cedar RIver North and South of Austin

Has anyone fished the cedar river? If you have i am wondering how you did and what is the best lure to use?

I am only 14 so it cant be far out of austin i can only ride bike!

------------------
berkley man

Flipnripem

Hey bud, I think I can help you out. I will tell you that the good old day`s are gone on the Cedar but there are a few good pool`s that will hold fish. You can bike south on fourth street to the T intersection and go left to the bridge. Fish it south as far as you are willing to walk. The best bet to hook up with some smallie`s would be a soft plastic crawfish immitation. I like to fish it weedless, cause of all the rock in the river, and hit any type of overhead structure you can find. Some of the fish will be actively feeding above the riffle`s and will slide down in the hole`s when they are resting. When they are really on the bite a top water popper is a blast. Always have one with you. A medium sized beetle spin can be effective at time`s in a brown and orange color. Most of the river in town get`s severly pounded daily and the fish are really spooky. I think you will do better south of town. Have your folks drop you off in the morning and walk it back to town. Good luck.

thanks alot what is a top water popper???
i dont have one i was going to get me a crayfish plastic but i didnt have money at the time so i might pick one at the local wal-mart this week
how far south should i go?

------------------
berkley man

lawman

The best popper I have ever used for smallies is the Pop'R. Buy any color as long as it is white or silver on the belly. Twitch the bait back towrds you on the retreive. Good Luck

fishdog

You can usually catch northerns below all the Austin dams on the Cedar River with any larger minnows (sucker,shinner,chubs). Another good spot is behind the power plant north of Todd Park, anywere up from there is also good, the area near the train bridge down river from Ramsey dam is a great spot because there is a spring in the river bend there. Above Ramsey dam is also very good fishing, its fairly deep from the old train bridge down river to the top of the dam. (over 15 feet at the top of dam and around 5 feet near old train bridge). There is good catfishing above and below Ramsey after a good rain and at night. A freind and I caught 9 channel cats this week (Aug. 12th and 13th.) all of them between midnight and 6am. With the rain on Sunday and the full moon on Tuseday it was prime catfishing then. I caught a 16lb, and two 11.5lb,5.5lb,4lb catfish and my freind caught a 10 lb,8.5 lb,7.5lb catfish! we took pictures and let them go, so there still in the Cedar River for others to catch.(And hopefully release.) Look for deep spots, trees in water, and steep undercut banks to catch cats, I use chicken liver for bait, but nightcrawlers ,small bullheads, frogs, and larger minnows as used for northerns will also work well. I fish right on the bottom with no bobber and use a larger single "circle type" of hook. Make sure your pole is secure if your not holding it, or you'll lose your pole if a big one takes your bait and runs with it. I also use a bell that clips to the end of my pole so I hear them taking my bait (when in the dark). Most importantly BE CAREFULL AROUND THE DAMS and fish with someone just incase one of you fall in.(or catch a big one).Other good spots to fish are in any city park were the river is (Dresner point,Lions park near bridge, Markison park behind baseball feild, and the Park west of the Hormel corprate offices were the todd park creek meets the ceder river. Good Luck and be carefull, hopefully this helps. cool.gif

------------------