Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

I fished on the Root in and near Forestville today.I picked up 2 nice rainbows and a few little browns during midday.The one thing that was strange was that there were plenty of fish around but they would just flash at my lure and not hit it.I threw everything I had at them from jigs to raps to topwaters and poppers.Why do these fish do this?Are they territorial and trying to chase my offering away(like bass) or do they notice at the last second that it is an artificial?I'm new to this and would also like to know of any tricks to get them to actually bite.

Went to the Root (Forestvill) today had the same thing happen to me. I have been there 4 times this month and have not seen the trout act like that. The last few times I went fishing, I was catching them left and right.
I dont know what the problem was, could be the weather.

Ed

Jim W

Hey guys,

A couple things that first come to mind when you mention the trout flashing at your bait.
First, It could be related to the trout being caught before and the recent fishing pressure, making the trout a little more hesitant in taking your bait. Or, the trout is reacting instinctively to it's feeding mechanisms!

Many times over the years I've run into a flasher even on good days when the bite is strong. The trout are usually a fish that incorporates a high level of feeding instinct. SO what could be happeneng is these two factors.
The trout might already be full and is instinctively reacting to a flashing lure or presentation. "hey, there is something 'sexy' flashing over there, I better go check it out".

If the fish are flashing near your feet or close to you and not grabbing your bait, it could simply indicate that they saw you and became spooked. If you know they didn't see you and this occurs, I recommend increasing the length of your cast and fishing in the riffle or fast current areas, making only up stream casts. You should get a trout that is instinctively reacting to it's survival mechanisms to make a mistake and go a little too far, getting hooked!!!
Keep the rods bendin'!!! Jim W

[This message has been edited by Jim W (edited 06-11-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Jim W (edited 06-11-2001).]

DARK30

I'VE NOTICED THESE FLASHES FOR ALONG TIME AND I JUST ASSUMED THEY WERE HITTING SHORT. MAYBE NOT REAL HUNGRY OR GETTING WISE TO THE FISHERMAN BUT I CAN TELL YOU MORE THAN HALF THE TROUT THAT START TO ATTACK DON'T FOLLOW THROUGH. ONE OF MY FAVORITE LURES FOR THESE FISH IS A SMALL 2" MISTER TWISTER FISHED FAST, STRAIGHT ACCROSS THE RIVER. THEY WILL COME OUT OF NOWHERE GRAB THE TAIL AND LET GO SO FAST THAT BY THE TIME YOU FEEL THE TUG ITS TOO LATE, YOUVE BEEN TUGGED,FLASHED, AND SPANKED! SNEAK N CAST FOR TROUT.......I LOVE IT!
KEEP IN MIND THAT YOU MUST KEEP A LOW PROFILE AND NOT WEAR ANY BRIGHT CLOTHING. TWILIGHT TIME IS THE BEST AND OVERCAST DIM DAYS ARE MUCH BETTER THAN HIGH NOON AND SUNNY (UNLESS THE TRUCK FROM THE HATCHERY JUST DUMPED A LOAD OF SHAKERS)!
WET NETS!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

Jim W

DARK30

How true! The best times are indeed twilight, especially with a gin clear stream/river.
The clothing comment reminded me of an opener a few years back. It was cold, in fact, it snowed so I can't blame the guy for trying to stay warm, but he was wearing a brand new BLAZE orange jacket! Nooo GOOD!
Wearing earth tone colors can add to your success along with time of day and technique.

Taking the time to walk a little further than normal can also have a positive effect, getting away from where "everybody else" has fished. This can help those "flashers" turn into definite feeders! I need to get out on the stream real soon. One of my favorite spots wasn't affected by the storms last night, so I might just have to give her a go!!! Jim W