Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Havin' Fun

Camping

Havin' Fun

Thinking of running up there with a few people over Memorial Day weekend. How far of a ride is it from the Main Park Headquarters to Sugarbush island?

Any good island spots we should look for heading out of that access spot? I would like an island, but not have to run real far...the women don't like extra long, rough boat rides!

Thanks

Farley

Are you talking about the Visitor's Center Public Access? From there to Sugarbush, I'd guess it's about a 15-20 minute ride in our boat, but our boat tops out at 35mph, I don't know what kind of motor you have, it all depends. FishKab or Guts might have a better say on this matter. I havent been up there too much latley but we'll be up there next weekend for opener. I was actually planning on fishing around Sugarbush, maybee we'll bump into each other.

Maybee we won't run into each other, I missed the part about Memorial Day.

[This message has been edited by Farley (edited 05-06-2004).]

Animal

There are two visitor centers on Kab. Ash River and one further west which is the landing closest to Sugarbush. If you are traveling up on Memoral Day I wouldn't count on getting one specific campsite. You should be prepared to search for a campsite.

guts

Hammer'm
Animal is right on, the closest visitor center is the main visitor center at Kabetogama, at Gateway Store, where the Walleye is.

That weekend if the weather is decent, it can get crowded. There are probably 15 campsites or so on the west end of the lake.

It would be about a 10 minute boat ride from the Kab visitor center to Sugarbush.

If you can come the day before the weekend start you would be better off.
Good luck, Guts <{{{{><

Havin' Fun

I was up there quite a few years ago and found it busy, but not real bad as we just drove around looking for a spot to camp. You can camp anywhere you want up there, right? Just some set campsites that have lockers, pits ect???

Thanks for all the help.

bottomfeeder

I believe you are to camp only at the designated campsites. Many times thou, you find houseboats parked at tent sites, and tents pitched at houseboat sites. It's a crazy, mixed up world.

guts

Hammer em,
You are right, you can camp anywhere you choose. The designated sites do have lockers, pits, fire rings and etc.

If you pick a random site, there are some stipulations as to how far you must be away from another site.

Depending on the upcoming weather, there could be fire restrictions, limiting campfires to designated sites with firerings. You may want to bring a cookstove if thats the case.

If you need to know any specifics, you can go to the national parks website.

Lots of Luck, guts <{{{{{><

bottomfeeder

Hmmm, you learn something new everyday. I just always thought camping was restricted to designated sites. After reading the above, I found this from the voyagures web site:

>>Camping is permitted at designated campsites on a first come / first served basis. Camping is also permitted at undeveloped sites under the following conditions:
The site is not within 200 yards of a developed campsite.
The site is not on private or leased lands.
The site is 1/4 mile away from any park-developed area<<

fishkab

bottomfeeder, I notice in the other posts that someone thought that houseboats park at campsites. that has been changed. The houseboat sites have been built and they are not supposed to use campsites. Also, the park service has a map that shows the locations of all camp sites and also lists the amenities at each site. Things like lockers, docks, etc. Good map for people who like to camp. Available free at the Visitor Centers. Have fun.. Fishkab

bottomfeeder

fishkab, I was the one who made the post you referenced.

A couple of years ago we were fishing/camping around Blueberry Island on Rainy. We arrived at Blueberry near evening and the sun was close to setting. It was mid-week and we did not think we would have trouble finding a campsite, so cutting it close with respect to day light hours was not a concern. However, upon arriving at Blueberry we found houseboats anchored (presumbly for the night) at two different campsites, and we ended up having to pitch our tents at a designated houseboat site. Which basically meant pitching the tents on a sand beach. Then in the morning we had to pack things up and move back to one of the campsites where the houseboats where previouly anchored, losing prescious fishing time.

Anyway, I was a little disapointed to see houseboats anchored at campsites, when there was open houseboats sites close by.

You can also download the maps with the camping info. off the voyegers web site as well. Having each campsites features listed is real nice. We usually target an area we want to camp, then pre-select the best sites, if they are taken, then move on to the others.