Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

guide recommendation

10 posts in this topic

Hey all,
I am in need of an recommendation for a guide. My group and I will be on Kab 5/27-6/1 and this year I am going to break down and hire a guide to supplement my fishing adventure. (Likely only 1 or 2 days out of the 5) Whom shall I contact to assist in my quest for walleyes and monster pike? (are there any over 26" in Kab? All we seem to find are hammer handles.)

What are the basics for hiring a guide?
What should/shouldn't they provide?

------------------
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach him to fish and he'll sit in the boat and drink beer.

Walleye Slayer,
Go to the Kabetogama web site, www.kabetogama.com, there is a list of guides along with there phone numbers. I could e-mail you with my preferences, but I prefer not to post that

Answering one of your questions about big pike, this lake produces many trophies year after year both summer and winter. A few of the guides have expertise in both walleye, pike and smallies. Let me know what resort you are at or wait and see if I e-mail ya.

Good luck, guts <{{{{><

Hi. I can't recommend a guide for that week because he's booked up already, but his rates and policies may be the norm or at least a point of comparison.

$250.00 per day for two people. $50.00 per person after that. He does 1/2 days, but doesn't like to. Plus bait & gas. We tipped him $20.00, too. He talked as little or as much as we wanted to, and gave me "walleye 101" without hesitation.

Last year was my first year both at Kab, & Walleye fishing. The other folks at the resort said Kab is a hard lake to learn, and most of them still hire guides even after going there for several seasons - at least for the first day.

Good luck, and enjoy. Maybe I'll see ya on the water! We'll be in either an 18' beige SeaRay (my inlaws') or a 12' Alumibeater (mine).

Oh yeah, there are supposed to be PLENTY of big northern in there - if the hardwater guys don't get 'em first! wink.gif

------------------
< )/////><{
RobertC

[This message has been edited by RobertC (edited 02-05-2003).]

Oops... I forgot to mention that we will on a houseboat and not at a shoreline resort. I wouldn't think that would really matter as we have two-way radios on all our boats.

Another question that arose is are there any unwritten rules about the fishing spots that I guide shows the client? i.e. If the guide takes you to a hotspot can or should you return to it on another day? The lake is of course public but what about the "intellectual property rights" of the guide? Or is this part of what the client pays for. Not that this info would be broadcast across the 10 o'clock news (unless I get my lunker Pike!) Just curious. -BAWS

------------------
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach him to fish and he'll sit in the boat and drink beer.

BWS,
As you are finding out, a guide is worthwhile for your venture. Usually guides will take you to a few different locations, they are yours to fish anytime. As to telling other folks about them, no one would stop you, but why tell others, the guides around here need to make a livin to.

ONce again there are several guides in the area, some guides work a great deal with houseboats, and some have more experience than others in the Kab/Namakan part of the lake where your houseboat will be starting from. Good Luck, guts <{{{{{><

Guts,
Thx for the insights!
-BAWS

[This message has been edited by BigAssWalleyeSlayer (edited 02-06-2003).]

BWS consider it done, good luck!!
guts <{{{{{><

baws, check out the Kabetogama Angling Adventures site in the guides section on Fishing Minnesota, Good luck

Try Jason Christenson, he's based out of the Ash River and did a good job for us. I'm sure he's in the Orr phone book. As to large toothy critters, yes, there are some monsters in Nam and I'm speaking from personal experience.

A guide is an excellent investment on Kab/Nam as there is a lot of water, islands, and just using a guide to get you familiar with getting around has value.

Good hunting!

As far as intellectual rights goes - use your instincts. If you go back to a spot and your guide is there with another client maybe you could go elsewhere and come back later. Walleye school and wander, so the terrain that held 'em yesterday will hold 'em again...sometime.

------------------
<)/////><{
RobertC