• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cruiser trail lakers through the ice......

Hello all,
Just wondering if it's legal to tow an otter sled on the trail to Cruiser (lakers) and fish for the day using a gas auger and all. I'd be heading from my place on Black Bay (Rainy). Additionally, would anybody be willing to share some tips for success on this type of excursion?
Also, I've fished Shoepack in the summer and caught quite a few muskie, would that even be worth a thought through the ice. Thanks in advance for any help.
P.S. I've never needed to bring live bait to the park's interior, but is it allowed if someone wants to?

Slotfish

[This message has been edited by slotfish (edited 01-21-2003).]

slotfish,
First, your easy question, live bait is permitted within the parks interior.

As for going into Cruiser lake with auger, house and etc., thats all legal, but pulling it behind a sled is a no. Snowmobiles are not permitted on park land except for safety land portages and the chain of lakes trail.

Yea they have caught some nice trout in there, if you decide you are going to do this, post back a request for more info and I,ll talk to a buddy of mine that went in there last winter.

The Shoepack question is a real good one, I don,t know anyone thats gone in ice fishing for the muskies, can,t help ya there.

I had a friend that spent a bit of the winter camping on Ek Lake and he did fairly well on N.Pike and some Crappies but that was several years ago.

An aid for fishing those lakes is to get maps from the UofM bookstore, map division, I have some of them and if you need a phone number or somthing let me know.

Guess thats about all the info I have on the subjects. guts < ))))))><

Guts,
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm looking at my VNP map and I see what you mean. I was thinking of the Locator-WarClub-Quill-Loiten-Shoepack extravaganza. My winter trail map is at my cabin but isn't there a snomobile trail that goes through those lakes? What winter opportunities are there? And if I remember right the trail is "one way" for part or all of that stretch?
So coming from Black Bay of Rainy either going there or returning I would have to swing down into Lost Bay of Kab to catch the trail home or to those lakes, right?
Sorry for the arsenal of questions!
And yes, that would be splendid if you would ask your friend how he got into Cruiser and if he'd share any fishing tips!
P.S I fish Rainy heavily year round and I'd be glad to share any info you'd need for helping me out
Thanks,
Slotfish

Guts,
I answered my own questions via the DNR website and a different map. That Cruiser info would be cool though, thanks again.
Slotfish

Slotfish,

You're exactly right about the Locator, etc. snowmobile trail. It is called the chain of lakes trail and it does run one way from Blk. Bay to the end near the mouth of Lost Bay. From that point you connect up with the green trail and either go west back to the Black Bay portage or east to gold trail to Kettle Falols and catch the purple trail on Rainy.

My buddy that fished Cruiser last winter did well in 28' of water, right near the shoreline on a fast dropoff, he had brought in ciscos but suggests bringing in frozen shiners that are smaller, because the trout he caught were all smaller than 6#, he uses swedish pimples, kastmasters, heddon sonics and etc. He walked in fom Rainy Lake and pulled a sled with the auger and supplies.

The chain of Lakes Trail which is closed now due to lack of snow, will open if we get a 6" snowfall or more you could keep abreast of this by checkin snowmobilevacation.com or try www.kabetogama.com or www.ashriver.com
The chain of lakes does have lots of largemouth bass and a fair N.Pike population that is seldom fished summeror winter.

Good luck, and post back if you have any more questions, guts <{{{{{><