Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  

Just got back from Namakan

The fellows and I got back this week end from Namakan and here's my fishing report.

Monday: Fish were sluggish. Picked up a few slots trolling blue& white rapala's around Willams Island in 15-20ft water. Caught some small saugers on Blue & White Jig with leeches.

Tues: Rained like Hell over night and the fishing was horrible. Caught some Snakes using a variety of stick baits all over the place(2-5lbs).No slots this day.

Wed: The morning was slow again but around 3:00 the fish started to turn on. Caught several fish in,under,and over the slot. Caught a 24in walleye west of Cemetery Island in front of Tar point using a Rapala called a Log Perch in 15-20ft water. Starting using a worm harness and found the magic meal.Orange blade worked the best but other colors also produced. Best locations were wind swept shore lines especially the main land stretch south of Namakan Island in 20-25ft of water. Also caught some saugers & Crappies on the same Blue & White Jig with Leech on the S.E. side of Willams Island near the camp site in 25-30ft of water.

Thurs: Fishing was Awesome!! Starting using the Orange bladed Worm Harness and that's all we used the rest of the day. Trolled the weeds in Moose Bay and caught lots of Walleyes up & down the tape. Lost several Harness's to Snakes but did manage to get a few of the smaller ones in the boat. Moved to the East side of Willams Island and trolled that up & down in 15-25ft of water. We hit the spot big time!! It's a nice problem to have when you have to start picking the slots you want to keep! We then started trolling in between Willams Island & Stevens Island and got a big surprise! We started catching Crappies on the worm harness's in 20-25ft water. Lost several fish because we couldn't get the boat stopped quick enough before it would rip out of there mouths. Finally ran out of worms and started using Lindy rig with a leech. We started catching lots of Small Wallayes and a few Saugers in this same location until we ran out of live leeches. We moved directly east of there into the bay. I put a dead leech on the lindy rig and in about 5 minutes caught a 27in Walleye in 15ft of water!! We were forced to troll with artificials now and couldn't a thing after that. What a Day!!!!!

Friday: We packed up and went home.

I would like to thank all who have posted info on the forums page. All the info was great and helped considerably. I hope this report will help make someone's trip even more exciting then ours. D.W. Hans

Jim W

DW HANS,

Thanks a ton for your report!

I will probably try out a few of those spots you had success at!
I'll be putting in tomorrow morning at the Ash River access and camping, probably at the LOst Bay site if avialable.
ANy sites recommended on Namakan??

Thanks again for your info. I will provide a report upon my return as well!!

Keep the rods bendin'!!

Jim W

Xplorer

Jim,
Yes there is a great camping site right on the west side of Williams island. Go thru blind indian narrows (watch for the 2 rock markers0 and go straight east about 1 mile. You will see a campsite that is situated on a large granite point. There is a dock in the tiny bay next to the site. 2 tent pads,bearbos,table, privy, west facing. We call this "spider island" after my wife was startled several times by large ones (she hates spiders smile.gif ) This site is within 5 minutes of all the spots Hans is talking about. You can also throw a slipbobber off the campsite and catch smallies and an occasional walldog in the evenings.There are also 3 sites on the south side of Namakan Island, and sites on the south and SW side of Williams.
Looks like I wont be able to get up, a project that I was supposed to get done last Sat didnt (rental equip broke mad.gif )so looks like I'll end up doing it this weekend.
CPR a bunch and have a shorelunch on me!
Xplorer

PS: Its about 12 miles from lost bay island campsite to the east side of Williams
[This message has been edited by Xplorer (edited 09-17-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Xplorer (edited 09-17-2002).]

Jim W

Thanks Guys,

However, I don't have a map of Namakan. IS there a Hot spots of Namakan? I will be stopping at the "Gateway store" for some additional items and am hoping to acquire a Nam map, so I can pinpoint the recommended locations!

Thanks again! Let's hope for some walldogs!!!!!!!

Jim W

We picked up an extra map of Namakan this year at the Ash River Vistors Center. Just ask for one if there not out. I think it was $9.00

Jim W

I have a 50 horse 4 stroke. JUst curious on how much gas you typically used on a 12 mile run. I am bringing extra gallons just in case.
Thanks again! Hopefully I can get my hands on one of them there maparinos!!

Jim W

PS. How many miles would you guess it to be from the mouth of the Ash river?? The NAm site, that is?

[This message has been edited by Jim W (edited 09-17-2002).]

I can't help with the miles or gas ??'s. We have 9.9's. It took us about 30 minutes to go from the boat dock to the camp site with FULLY LOADED boats. We used about 8 gallons in 4 days if that helps. If this is your first time on Namakan pay close attention to the Red & Green Bouy markers. They help figure out where your at plus which side of the boat to keep them on. If you have a GPS you need to mark these because it can get a little confusing especially in the dark when your trying to get back to your camp. The map will tell you about the bouys. Sorry I can't help more. Xplorer or Guts can help you more then I can. Good Luck D.W.Hans

Xplorer

Jim,
Hope I caught you before you left. I have a 90 honda, and get 6.5 mpg(2 guys full tank etc), you should get better with your 50, I would be conservative at 6 mpg or 2 gallons for a 12 mile ride.When I camp I take an extra 15 gallons for a 4-5 day trip and have never run out if camping in the area i am fishing. There is no hotspots map of namakan, i have a fisher?? map.
Using Hans great report (meant to tell you on last post great report!!) you can find those areas with ease. Print off the DNR lakefinder map at 85% for the area of east williams island and you will have most of the areas that Hans talked about.
From the Ash river landing it is @6.0 miles to the campsite,maybe less. As you go down towards the campsite from ash river keep the green bouys on your RIGHT, and the red on your left. If you decide to head towards Kettle falls, the same applys (you are going "down river") if you go past Namakan island east keep the red on your right and green on your left as you ar going "upriver" (red,right, upriver I learned on the Mississippi growing up Jim)
Have a great time.
Xplorer

The camp site Xplorer is talking about is where we stayed for the week. It's a great site. Has a good view and a nice dock to protect the boats when it gets windy. When you get there glide your boat right up on the rock point and unload your stuff from there. It's much easier then hauling it from the dock. When your set up walk straight back from the tent pads and you'll find a open area (flat rock) that has a pretty good view. Good Luck