Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  

Trolling vs. still fishing on Kab

I have been fishing Kab for the past 4 springs and am looking for some opinions on hooking spring walleyes. My group is split on what is the "best" technique or fishing style to limit out with. We usually go out on the 1st weekend in June and we have been to most general areas of this massive lake. My question is: Do you find that trolling or still fishing techniques land more fish? And why?

lundrunner

Hey BAWS,

I have fished Kabby for over 15 years every June and often in the Fall. My experience has been that I catch many more fish drifting lindy rigs along/towards wind swept shorelines where deep water meets moderate rising structure than trolling these same areas. The more wind the better. A drift-sock is essential on real windy days or you get pushed up to the shoreline to quickly. I have had some success trolling (electric motor) on calm days on very deep structure edges. Wind is the key to success on Kabby. If the wind is blowing fish it. If not, fish yesterdays wind.

Good Luck.

Lundrunner

Two words: Shad raps...SHAD RAPS, BABY!!! Unless we're bobbered up at dusk, this is da shat.

Web

I'm gonna throw out my tolling vs still fishing question again. Any takers???
-BAWS

P.S. Only 5 days til our 6th Annual Big Northwoods Fishing/Card Playing/Cigar Smoking/Drinking Extravaganza, YIPPEEEEEE!

------------------
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach him to fish and he'll sit in the boat and drink beer.

Dear Bigass, Have been fishin' Kab and Nam for past 5 years. Our general rule is to drift/troll lindy rigs on windy banks in 8-25 ft. of water. With good wind we use an old missouri style of fishin'. Most folks up north think we are crazy but we cast 1/8 oz jigs with 3 inch twisters. (orange head with char. tail and pink head with white tail) Last 2 days last year we caught around 80-100 fish on casting to shore and working bait off bottom. P.S. DON'T forget half night crawler on EVERY cast!

Bigass, one more thing, we would rather cast tails any day over trolling! But we also know if the wind is not blowing, you gotta troll!! Will be at frontier lodge next Sat. about noon. Can't get up there quick enough. GO MIZZOU!

Im also going up to Kab tomorrow morning for a week or so. We usually drift leeches from deeper flats or holes up to sand bars or rock bars, but as soon as we nail a couple in a general vicinity we sit on that spot until they turn off. Last year there were three nights where we had 3 people in the boat and caught 30 plus fish. Most were over slot but a couple over 23 also. What a blast!!!

Sean

Pro Catch and Release