Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fish-4-fun

Local fishing

19 posts in this topic

Has anyone noticed that the bullheads are really bad this year? I think they seem to be especially on Kandi. Is anyone having any luck on any local lakes in the area? I am looking to try a new lake in the area this weekend. Any suggestions?

Fish for bull heads, keep as many as you can.

Just a thought

I have caught only 2 bullheads so far this season. One was a little under 1lb and the other was a monstor, it was about 1.5lbs with a huge belly on it.
Other than that I havent caught to many bullheads.

------------------
And keep those hooks sharp!

Well I went out on Sauturday and caught some nice eyes, I had one on that was about 7 lbs. or so and once his nose was in the net he didn't like that and dove under the boat and broke my line, so if you catch a monster with a blue spinner in his mouth let me know I would like to get a closer look at him!! I had more fun then I have had in awhile.

Was out on tues. night on nest lake and I couldn't believe how weedy it is already. I know that this lake is a very weedy one, but I had figured with this weird spring weve had, cool one that is, the weed growth wouldn't quite be as bad yet. Was I wrong. Had some decent luck for walleyes along the deeper weedlines. I don't fish nest that often, but what I thought was strange, was that some of the walleyes have black spots all over them, and some have none. Why would that be? One other thing that puzzles me is that every lake so far this season that I have fished and have caught walleyes on and have taken some 16" ones for the pan, all these walleyes have no food in there bellies. Tell me if this is normal, I wouldn't think it is. I have fished walleyes for 20 some years and I can't remember it like this. What is happening with the fishing? Is the weather causing all of these strange outcomes? If anyone can shed a little light on this, please do so. Heading north this weekend, to minnewaska and lake reno. Hope the fishing is better than last.

fished green last night and got my six pretty easy. When I cleaned them some had two to three leeches in their bellies. Also they had puked up perch in the livewell. Sounds like parasites on the walleye at nest.

walleyenemesis, them leeches are probably mine! :P I had a few to many "swing-and-a-misses". wink.gif
But its good to be able to go out on Green and get some fish too! I found out its kind of a hit and miss deal, you just have to find were the fish are and u should be set.

As far as Nest goes, Really early in the year before we got all this rain the lake was far down. It was hard to get in at the west landing with a big boat at the time.
Well b/c of the water being down the weeds grew out deeper than normal. Then we got all this rain, the lake came up over a foot and the weeds still grew out deep b/c they were tall enough to get light. Now with this colder then normal weather, it has not been warm enough to kill the spring growth of weeds yet. Normally by this time the weeds have gone down and it isn't so bad. So the only thing I can think that will help is some really hot days.
Also on Nest had a really good success rate in 2001 for YOY walleyes. There is a lot of 14" to 16" fish in there, and I'm sure there is some competition for some food b/c of that.

------------------

My uncle and I hit Green for a couple hours Saturday night. I boated 4 walleyes between 17-21 inches in about 25 minutes. Wish I would have caught them in the tourney out there. We ended up with 8 walleyes and four too small. Sunday morning took us 3 hours to get another 8 keepers. A few too small again.

I was out on nest tuesday through friday night. the fishing seemed to pick up later in the week. we had no problem reaching our limit several times that week with the largest one 23 inches. we also noticed that there was only one eye with anything in its stomach.

Hey f1sh1nfool, that sounds suspiciously like the report from my brother in law. wink.gif As a matter of fact, I think I may have been in your boat on Friday helping land some of those fish!

Local guide i will be in the area this week - Interesting in fishing nest - how can I contact you

Thanks

I was wondering if anyone has any tips on catching some crappies this weekend? I don't know where to go or what to try. Are they hitting on Norway? Probably not, I might try up by Brandon on Devil's, I have had luck there in the past. Any tips would be appreciated.

mallardkiller, localguide_ar@hotmail.com .... I should be around this weekend sometime

------------------

Looking for crappies you say? If I was to try for crappies in the willmar area, I would either hit Swenson lake, or lake Florida. I was up to lake Swenson about a week ago fishing for walleye's and did much much better on crappies. I caught fish anywhere there was sunken timber casting small 1/32 ounce tube jigs, preferably red and white. Last year on any given day you could hit lake Florida and catch a ton of 7-9" crappies. I would guess if a person worked those same areas, You could put a meal into the boat. I have been out on Florida probably 3 times so far this year, but have not yet fished for crappies. But last tues. night I was out there and picked up one trolling spinners and crawlers. I hope this helps a little.

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking about trying Henderson, but have never fished there before. Could anyone tell me if they know anything about it?

I've fished Henderson quite a bit. This lake is extremly fun to fish. Clear water, lots of docks, swimming platforms, sunbathers(LOL), and lots of big bass. You'll find fish pretty much throughout the lake. I tend to fish Henderson on sunny, hot days when the bass will be concentrated under the docks. If you cannot fish when it is sunny or the fish aren't under the docks, try the weed bed on the south side of the lake in 16 feet of water. This usually produces. As for crappies, I've caught them under docks as well. You can also catch them around the fallen trees along the shoreline. Pike are found throughout, although not great numbers. I've never fished for walleyes on this lake. Good Luck!.....LEECH

------------------

<*))))))))><{

Walleynemis - Bigfife others:
Anybody out there willing to give a few tips on the Green action this year? It's a big lake with lots of structure so if you're willing to give any tips on general spots or presentation it would be appreciated.
I usually fish live bait out on big Green but haven't hit her yet this year. Has anybody had any luck with open basin fishing cranks for suspended fish yet this year? Last year I accidentally caught a 26.5" eye over 60ft of water with a deep down husky jerk... Is that the trick or does live bait still produce for eye's?

Thx

Did pretty good on deep gravel over the weekend. This spot was a small underwater point in about 28ft so we sat on top and pulled fish with jig and leech. Bait rigs worked best in other areas.

MNorthwoods-
I was out there again this weekend. I caught four keepers on Sat. night and one on Sunday afternoon. I have caught 90% of my fish in 42 feet of water. Most of my time has been spent around castle flat. I also located some willing biters on the weedlines in 25 fow. I would say mourning and evening are your best bet with a leech or crawler.