• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Truck in at the Point!

Anybody know who hasn't figured out yet that you can't drive over or near the rocks at the Point? Heard it's in about a 1/3 of the way up the doors. frown.gif

Let the games begin!! Is there any snow at all on the lake and what is the Ice Thickness...Iwant to get to the Island and I'm wondering on the proper mode of transportation...

Hey K.C. Not much snow except where houses were at when we got a dusting of snow and the wind. Ice thickness is 12+ at a minimum. For the most part it's in as good of shape as I've seen it in a few years. The one crack opened during the super winds last Fri. night out in front of Park #2 (about 300 yards out) that is marked with pails and flags. Of course there is the heave that runs NE from the Point where the truck is and that is never too safe. You should be fine getting to the Island via truck. There are a bunch of full size rigs fishing just to the SE of the Island. I've been crossing the lake in my small truck. I guess a 4-wheeler took a shallow swim at the point last weekend. Ya just gotta wonder sometimes? smile.gif

Psycologically I have a hard time driving on Ice with no snow...With snow you can just pretend you are driving accross a sugar beet field ...it's much more relaxing to use the snowmobile...Stop in at Lost Forest Fish Camp if you are over by the island

You think driving over clear ice is nerve wracking? Try it with 6 inches of water on top of the ice with waves in the middle of the night!! I did that with the truck a couple weeks ago, then I took the 4-wheeler out and that was still nail biting! Now that will get the heart beating!! smile.gif Yup, no matter how much try the old "mind" games will get you going! Sounds like nicer weather for the weekend so I'll be out and about.

just think the structure we would have to fish if we left all those trucks and wheelers in at the point. honestly, how many trucks have to go in through the ice on the point before they stop driving around it? I was out there the last 3 days and go to admire the "tail gate sticking out of the ice" today. Got a 28 incher yesterday night. fun fish, saw lots of carp swimming on the camera, and just below the ice. I also had about a 10 lb pike roll through about 3 feet under the ice. Pretty cool to see. Fishing has slowed but watch the fronts and it will pick up. shockingly Caught 1 crappie yesterday and proudly released it with memories of what once was.
L.L. is starting to load up with people, just an observation. Good fishing to all!
Anyone tried twin or little kandi this winter?

I said it last week watch out for the point but i guess some people need to go through to get it through their head that the point is never safe! Are their any fish being caught on L.L.? Obviously if they are piling up i guess but I have never fished it and actually mentioned it to a couple of buddies as an option for this weekend although it would be a little weird not being on kandi for a change. I havent pulled my house off kandi until the end of feb for years

I don't know if they are getting many keepers on LL or not. I do know of a pig eye that was lost just under the ice over there. I'm pretty confident the lake has more fish in it than most think. I'm hoping most of the big eye's that get caught on Kandi. go back? I know of a 27" and 28" being caught and kept the same evening by a younger guy. frown.gif I think his friends (and others) have "enlightened" him on the importance of throwing those fish back. An older local gentleman caught and kept a 31.5" for the wall a while back. Oh well, I'm sure he has put in his time out there for a trophy. Good Luck and stay dry!!

About 5 years ago on the evening of opener my four brothers and I were flipping Jigs off the dock catching a few eaters when Wham! I hooked what I assumed was a Northern so I horsed around with till I got it tiredand when I netted it , it turned out to be a 28 1/2" Walleye so I was able to turn to my brothers and say "thats how it's done. We fried it up for breakfast with a side of Bald Eagle eggs and deep fried baby loons...

myself, and my uncles's, all who also always fish kandi, have a self imposed 16 - 22 inch slot when we are fishing kandi. All pan fish go down the hole, and all catfish stay on top of the ice. Big walleyes taste like dirty shoe leather. so far this winter we have returned a 31", 28", 3-26", and numerous fish from 22-25". These numbers are not becasue they are "bitting" but rather becasue we or one of us has been out there almost everyday since the middle of december and your odds of hooking those fish increase tenfold when that happens. As for my 28" it was harvested, only because the circle hook, ripped the gilrackers, and was lodged deepely, so when the fish went on its 4 monster runs, it gradually killed itself, came out of the hole streaming blood. I look and my cousin and told him that i would have puked if the fish got off, but then i thought about puking when i saw the condition the fish was in. It happens, the circle hook didn't work right, but they normally do. I believe it is important to return the walleyes that are big so others can have the chance and i also believe that it is important for people to return all those walleyes that are from 10 - 14 inches, becasue those are the future breaders. This winter i have seen far to many people with their limit of 12-13" walleye, citing them as a deliciacy. Baby killers, with the amount of perch out there no one should keep a walleye under 15", but those are just my thoughts. Good Fishing

loop, I won't post numbers but I'm glad to hear others are putting fish back. Remember you can't leave the cat's on the ice, gotta take them home and eat em. Game fish! smile.gif

I was kidding about eating the Walleye,Eagle eggs and deep fried baby loons...Although I am capable of monsterous acts...

catfish = cat food
no actually, if you cub them up and eat them like lobster its not bad

I also impose a self implemented slot but i usually release all fish over 18". I prefer the smaller fillets but rarely do i keep any fish, i like fish but if i dont eat them that same night they get freezer burnt. Have caught a fare amount of nice fish but nothing over 24" this year. I did however miss one monster in mid dec but it got off right at the hole. I was gone over the new year and a friend of mine was fishing in my house, i was catching some nice fish before i left and on new years day his boy caught a 7 lb eye out of my house and decided to mount it. Wish i could have caught it and made a nice release. Never caught one that was mountable but if i get one over 28"its going on the wall! I caught a 36" pike earlier and thought of mounting it but remembered i have a deer head my wife shot out of my stand i have to pay for so back in the hole it went. Moved the house today to get away from the traffic but when i got out there tonight there was two houses that followed me and a buddy over there. Maybe just had the same idea we did. Anyway, good luck this weekend and hopefully this warm front turns them on

What do you guys think about generators on kandi? personally i like to be as quiet as possible and wouldnt use one anyway but i think kandi is a little shallow to be running one and really annoying to the guy next to you.