• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hi all,

I need some help on Lake Ida! I will be there this weekend for a family reunion and as fun as the reunion sounds(not!) I plan on spending it in the boat doing some fishing. I have never fished it so I am looking for some tips. I will be staying on the south east side hunting bass during the day and maybe some evening eye's. According to the DNR website it says LM Bass are found deep? Is that true? Is it pointless to fish the inside weedlines and docks?? Also it mentions Stoney Pt and Pilgrams Pt, for walleye/SM Bass..are these the 2 points/peninsula's that are found on the south side?? Any other information would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Muskieguy..

muskie guy....yes, pilgrim point and stoney point are the penninsulas that sort of pinch off the southern 1/3 of the lake. Straight west of you is a small bay..the narrows there are fun to try for bass. the weeds, rushes and docks will indeed hold fish. as for the 'eyes...night bites tend to be a bit more productive, but it's not impossible to boat 'em during the day. most success has been with lindy rigs and leeches or redtails fishing the deeper midlake structure. look for the humps and points topping out at about 24-26 feet. daytime bite has been deep...26-34 feet or more. there are spots you may find 'eyes in the thick cabbage, using the weeds for cool shade and O2. try a jig worm in the pockets of the cabbage...all around finesse presentation that can entice the 'eyes, crappies, bass...fun way to fish because you never know what's gonna hit your jig-worm.

good luck...and good fishing.

------------------
Alexandria Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

Muskieguy...Ghoiterman has things hit on the head. I myself spend many, many hours on Ida (possibly into a new cabin soon???) but have spent majority of time up on Leech chasing muskies nowadays so haven't been around that area for awhile. You will find bass under docks and in reeds. Spinnerbaits work excellent. I have had my best luck with a yellow/pumkinseed color with a yellow or white twisty trailer. The action can be fast and furious but usually most of my bigger bass have come off of cariolina rigging a worm or jig and pig the weed line. Like G-man said, maybe a bonus eye as well. Have been further experimenting with a jig worm in the weed for eyes during the day with some success as well. For the eyes at night I would stick to mid-lake deep structure. I fish tops at night and edges on down during the day. Get a map. There are a lot of spots on Ida like this that may hold fish at any one time. Hard for me to say without being out there in awhile where to start. I do miss being up in the Alex area lately but can't complain with the Leech Lake area either (expecially when I am putting a couple skies in the boat!!!!) Talk to you all later.

WW

WW and Ghoiter!

Thanks for the advice, I will give it a shot..I don't get to fish with my dad to often so I like to put him on fish when we do. I did notice a Bass Tourney on Ida this weekend (Triple Three?) Do you know how many boats and where they weigh in? Might take my pops down to the weigh in, usually fun to watch.

One last question, does any part of the lake (north or south of peninsulas) seem to hold more fish? It looks like the south has some nice dock areas with some deep water near by..but it looks like the north basin has better mid lake structure?? Any thoughts?

Thanks again,

Will post my results Tuesday...

Muskieguy

Muskieguy...I've pulled a lot of bass out of the reeds that are located on the shoreline just before you enter "Little Ida" way up in the NW corner. Run those darn spinnerbaits right threw the reeds. This may also pertain to all other reeed areas on the lake (which are a few). Top props might be the way to go if there is Low light, calm w/ rain, or extreme overcast conditions. Otherwise I try to work the docks that don't have people climbing all over them. As far as for mid-lake bass areas. There is a large point that extends from the E. shoreline on the south part of the lake. I have pulled many nice bass/northern with a jig/worm, carolina rig worm in 15 or so ft. of water. I would imagine that similar spots all over the lake would have the potential for same results. As far as for walleyes, just north of the point described earlier there is an island that I have had luck on for eyes in the past. I concentrate on the points. Similar islands are up on the north end that I have had similar results. For walleyes I play the run and gun routine. Look for fish, find them, fish them, if nothing move on. Usually live bait rigs, 8ft. leaders, sometimes colored hook, 3/8 - 1/2 oz. slip sinker. Have had many eyes on Ida this year that just "feel heavy" when they bite. Have to feel for a subtle tug back, let line go for a bit and then hammer home! Good luck and make sure and give us a report.
WW

I believe the weigh in for the Triple Three bass tourney is at Big Horn Bay resort...up on the north end?

anyone else confirm?

have a great time fishing...

------------------
Alexandria Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

Thanks,

Might have to check out the weigh in...never heard of that resort though..not listed on this website, or the Alex Chamber of Commerce website? I am guessing that it is booked up just like ever resort on the lake and pretty much every Hotel/Motel in town...must be a busy weekend up there..gotta shack up next to the Big Ole at the Viking Motel...shhhhh...don't tell my wife..told her we got a room with a hot tub..which we do...but didn't tell her that it was at a road side Motel...haha..LOL..

Thanks again for all the info, will post my results next week.

Muskieguy...

Ghoiter, WW,

Back from Lake Ida, didn't get as much fishing in as I would have liked..but fishing was pretty good when we went out. Saturday AM, threw plastics and spinnerbaits at docks on the south east side, caught a few bass. Picked up a few more bass throwing a jig/twister tail into the weeds in 13-15'. Saturday evening tried a lindy rig with leech/crawler in 25-35 ft around the deeper edges of a sunken island in the center of the southern side..got nothing. We moved shallower and found some giant sunnies at about 15 ft in the weeds..I had my wife and a couple of others in the boat with me so we decided catching giant sunnies was better than trying for walleyes. Those pie plates do put up a good fight let me tell ya. Sunday, I decided to fish strickly the weed lines..we went to the very north part of Ida, posissioned the boat in 16 ft and casted into the weedline at about 13-15 ft. jigs, plastics, spinnerbaits, and cranks. (the cranks with bb's inside produced the most) And like you said before, you never know what you are going to get...we caught many 2-4 lb pike, numerous LM bass, Sunfish, perch..and about 50 1-2 lb rockbass..there was 4 of us and between all the rock bass, LM bass and northerns we all had a great time. Even had a 3-4 LM Bass follow a spoon right up to the boat, which is something I haven't seen out of a LM Bass before.

Thanks again for the tips! We had a great time, and all fish were released to fight another day.

Muskieguy....

P.S. I was invited to use the "cabin" (4 BR, 2 bath, 3000 sq foot) anytime before memorial day or after labor day as my relatives are never there...might have found my new walleye opener lake!!!!

Glad to hear that you had a great time Muskieguy. That is the thing with Ida. If your not that fussy it is a safe bet that you will catch something to keep life interesting. Great fun for the kids/family! I have had similar results in the place that you are talking about with the sunnies. It may take a while longer in cleaning, but to me scaled, skin on fresh sunnies are hard to beat tablefair. I usually opt to do this once a year or so.

On a different note I hate to burst your bubble but you might have better luck with using the cabin on opener for a base camp and fish some of the smaller bodies of water (Reno, Mary, etc.) instead. I do spend almost all my time on Ida on opener and I will admit that on average in my years (eight), the openers have been below average with some reports of other lakes in the area. This is not to say that we haven't caught fish however. The thing that I would be excited about is the post-labor Day time. Fall can be an exceptional time on Ida. The October time can be magical!!!

Keep an eye on the post in this forum labeled "Stories/photos". I have my pictures into Rick to post up there. Hopefully they get in there soon. Maybe see you on the water sometime! Take Care

WW

Well, They just confirmed that the North American Icefishing Championship will be held on Lake Ida,not Lake Henry on December 20,21.Does anyone have any info on lodging on the lake in December.I will be coming up the 18th.Also would like to purchase a good lake map.Any info on panfish,gills,crappies,perch would also be greatly appreceated!Thanks All!!!!!!!!!L.I.

[This message has been edited by Last Ice (edited 08-08-2003).]

Not many resorts left on Ida....best bet may be Betsy Ross Resort. There's a few year rounders on Miltona, just to the north...check the chamber of commerce website for all the lodging options.

As for map and spots...the dnr map is the only current version i'm aware of...available in the sportsmens connection series and of course the Lakemaster set. Lake master did reel bottom maps of Carlos, LeHommeDieu and Miltona...3 foot contours, very dramatic...hoping they'll have one for Ida soon.

As for spots, Ida is a much bigger body of water than Henry. Lots of deep structure, inlets, out lets, shallow bays. The panfish fare has usually been best in and around the bays...Betsy ross, christopherson's, little Ida....It's usually a good crappie lake in the winter.

good luck...

------------------
Alexandria Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

Thanks again Ghotierman for the info.We will be limited to fishing only the Northwest bay by the Betsy Ross Resort.L.I.