Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

1st Please Post Your Fishing Report - Then Join the NEW - Private Fishing Report Clubs   01/24/2018

Private Fishing Report Clubs - Click Here - Post Your Fishing Report Before Joining
      1st, be sure you post a fishing report in the forums, then ask to join after you post a fishing report in your area forum. The Private Fishing Report Clubs are where folks can share private fishing information with club members who have proven they know what's going on. Fishing Report Clubs Link also in Menu above. Apply to become a member today, while it's still easy. 
  • RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  

How long does 'first ice' bite usually last?

Question - in the Alexandria area, how long until the 'eyes start heading deeper, typically?

Was up there this weekend and found them at 20 feet in Miltona and 15-18 feet in 'waska. Planning on coming back this weekend - just wondering if I should be thinking about working deeper yet...

Also any thoughts on this warm spell and the impact on the fish and ice??

Thanks,
ak

ghotierman

ak...good to see you this past weekend...thanks for stopping in!
As for how long the first ice magic lasts...that's a 64k question!...depends on weather, forage...a lot of variables. I think the depths you were fishing on those particular lakes will hold true for most of the season. Not uncommon to catch eyes thru the ice with a belly full of frogs and mud on the nose in the middle of January! The weedline/breakline pattern will typically catch fish in transition...and can be effective all season...
As far as the calendar goes, though...usually things slow up somewhere around mid january. Remember lunar phases can still affect patterns....December's full moon is late.

good luck...hope to see you stop through this weekend!

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

joneshat11

ak,

last weekend while fishing Osakis I started out fishing the breaks of 15'-17' caught walleyes both fri night and sat. morning. later sat. fished same spots got 0. didn't dawn on me to try the basin intil noon on Sunday and boy did I find the mother load of walleyes from then intil 5p.

Joneshat11