• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hey guys, anybody know whats going on on Ida or other lakes in the area right now? I'll be on Ida this coming weekend. I know someone said jigworms for a mixed bag, might have to give that a try. Any patterns going on other lakes in the area that might work here? Bass doing anything on Ida now? Thanks and I'll let you know how it goes when I get back.

Hey Flick...Thought that I would jump in on your post since I basically have the same questions. I too will finally be back up in the area this weekend (been almost a month since I was up. It's been a while due to spending time chasing muskies up in the Leech Lake area (with good results too, but that is for a different Forum).

Just wondering if anyone knows the latest and greatest word for walleyes Ida or muskies on Miltona (I've had my fill of muskie fishing so I will probably stick to the walleye fishing). Areas to fish? Bait? Tactics in general?

Also, how is the bait supply (ghotierman help me out)? Is there redtails around? How is the size on the Leeches? Thanks in advance for any advice.

P.S. Flick I'll be in a blue and tan 1775 Lund Pro V with a 75hp 4 stroke Merc. Stop bye and we can swap reports. See ya!!

Wavewacker-I'll be in a 16' red lund with a 25 horse gray motor-forgot the model. We'll be staying in a relatives cabin in Christophersons bay. Have you fished the lake much this time of the year?

Flick...I'm down in the western bay on the south part of the lake (bayside of Lakeview point). I've fished the lake this time of year but more so around Labor day (I'm usually still fishing the Leech lake area for muskies). Most of the fishing I've done has been out from Christopherson's bay. There various mid-lake sunken islands out there that I have pulled some eyes off of.

About this time of year I start fishing with redtails, but will have some leeches with as well (live bait rigs with these). Depths have ranged in the past from 25-35ft (basically on the drop-off). Look for small irregular areas on the breaklines (small fingers, inside turns, etc) that may concentrate some fish.

This is what I'm planning on heading into the weekend unless I here something else. G-Man (or anyone else) are you there? Sounds like we both could use a current update on this subject and also the bait supply. Flick, probably see you on the water. Unfortunately (and I don't want to talk about it), I may not be heading up until Sat. Morning. See Ya!!! Good Luck.

Spent yesterday afternoon and evening on Ida fishing Bass. Caught 20+ fish ( largest 19") in 17-20 of water using tubes. The fishing was hot and heavy...... Good Luck

Germy

Germy- Thanks for the tip, I'll let you guys know how we do after the weekend, hopefully it's not too windy!

Hey fish buddies,
theres no fish left in lake Ida. J/k
Lake Ida has been excellent have spent a great deal of time out there in the last couple of weeks.

Yes, Jig worms work great on Ida. You catch alot of fish on them out there and some trophy size fish.
15- 22 ft is the ticket for finding large schools of small or largemouth bass.

Make sure you have Gopher Mushroom jig heads barbarian style hooks if you don't want to straighten the hooks out. The standard series is to light of wire you will bend them right out. 1/8 oz and3/16oz

Had some nice smallmouth action tuesday morning out there,

Gary Yamamoto Ikas Rootbeer GReen, and Green Pumpkin, also pick up some 6" power worms, natural colors- Green pumpkin, Camo, Black,ect

What's great about fishing these is you have alot of action and cathc a big variety of species,and size.

Hey Muskie Man,

Miltona is going for Muskies-Bass.
On miltona Monday Morning one of the best jig and pig bites all year. Lots of Big fish and one trophy smallmouth.

Here's some advice for muskie fishing take a 1/2oz to 7/8oz Jig and Pig. Make sure it has a super stron hook and go flip the cabbage and coontail beds.

Great action the bass keep you busy and you will have a good chance at putting a muskie in the boat.

Every time I have been on the lake this year we have either put a muskie in the boat seen a muskie or broke off.

It's a great way to catch non agrresive muskie and still have plenty of action.

I use 1/2oz Black Cat Jigs tipped with a Big Zoom Super Chunk or just Jumbo Pork out of the bottle.

This goes for lake Ida to if you want more big bass nothing beats a jig and pig.

It's a patience bait so fish it slow you don't always get alot of bites but the ones you do pay off.

------------------
Trophy Guides
Northeast Outfitters
Cory Putnam
320-808-7722 Cell
320-763-9598 Work

wavewacker...flick...

hope things have gone well on Ida. As Smallie says, there's some good action to be had. We do have redtails, and some dandy river shiners. Sorry for the late reply, but I just paddled out from a week in the BWCAW.

Let us know how you did on Ida.

good luck and good fishing!

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

Well the weekend wasn't to great for us.
Fri eve we drifted with redtails and crawlers in between storms and small bass just slammed those, no walleyes. Sat was gale force winds, no kidding 30-40mph, no fishing until eve. picked up a pair of 4lb northers trolling the weedline with shad raps. Sunday morning fished some humps for eyes and just got small bass. In the eve. we casted some midlake weedy humps and just got some more small bass. They were getting a little old by now! But we did see the strangest thing of our lives. I glanced down into the water and saw a fish swimming with its entire head out of the water, mouth open, swimming in the boats direction, not following any lures. It came so close to the boat that had my brain registered and I reached for a net I could have netted it. As it got within a few feet of the boat it turned sideways and swam down. We both saw it plain as day and both said it was a muskie. Theres no mistaking when its 4ft away from you and two people see it. I wish we would have fished bass more but the guy I was with didn't really want to. So thats it, lots of little bass, a couple northerns, and a weird muskie sighting!

Flick...any guestimate as to size of that weird muskie?

Saturday was brutal around here....ask Smallie, he fished a tourney on Lake Vermont in that wind...looked pretty beat up by the time I saw him on late Saturday!

How deep were you looking for the walleyes? Latest report for Miltona was fireball jigs in 34-38 feet. Don't know if they're running that deep on Ida, but wouldn't be surprised. Figuring after last saturday's gale force winds, the water's cooled a bit and been stirred up, might bring 'em in a bit....full moon phase coming too...should help.

At least you caught some fish though... smile.gif

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

Here it is...

Did manage to get up there Friday afternoon. Would have been a beautiful evening for fishing but it was the wifes birthday and I opted to make some points and go out for eats and drinks at Old Broadway with the intent to hit it early on Sat. morning.....NOPE!!! At about 3:00am the hurricane woke me and as Flick said, I too didn't get out until evening (which was beautiful).
Picked up 2 smaller eyes (15-16") on redtails that evening.

Flick...I was straight out from Christopherson's bay all Sunday morning. Had a red Lund come somewhat by me. Was that you?? You should have stopped by. Once again I was in the blue and tan Lund with a 75hp Merc. I got 5 eyes and released 2 smallmouth that morning (one dandy about 3 1/2lbs). Nothing big on the walleyes but all great eaters' (15-17"). They where all on redtails, one in 27' one in 35' and the rest in 32'. The weren't concentrated at all, scattered all over. If you remember the wind was somewhat blowing early in the morning and then the lake went to glass. All of the fish where caught while there was a chop. I milked it out when it turned to glass at all depths and couldn't scrape up that 6th one.

That is about it for me. I am teaming up with the neighbor to replenish our homemade hot dog supply this upcoming weekend so I will be back up in the area the evening of the 29th for the labor day weekend (woooo hoooo a 4 day'er). Ghotierman...I have to apologize I didn't get into your shop for bait this round. The father in-law had some left up at the cabin from the previous weekend. Talk to you all later.

Ghotierman-The muskie was 15-20lbs, no doubt about it. Wave Wacker, I was looking for you all weekend, maybe I wasn't paying attention Sunday morning. There were two of us in the boat, but as I looked around there were a number of other red lunds. Were you ever with anybody else, I did see an older fellow with a lady the same age and thought it could have been you but wasn't sure enough to ask! You did a lot better than we did. Also am curious how you were fishing your redtails? Thanks

[This message has been edited by Flick (edited 08-20-2002).]

Flick...Nice sized muskie. I knew that they where in there but have never tried for them. I may have to do a little casting this fall time.
Right on, there where a lot of red lunds out there. Like I said, Blue and tan Lund and I was straight out from Christopherson's Bay Sat. night and Sunday morning (actually was out there checking spots out with the electronics when that little rain cloud pushed through at around 5-5:30 friday night as well) and was all by myself. Had one red lund with two guys come out of Christopherson's Sunday morning heading straight towards me just as the sun was coming over the top of the trees , closer, closer,(thought that they may have been DNR) and then turning to go around me. Possibly didn't see me for the fact that I was sitting right in the sun reflection on the water. Does this ring a bell??

Anyway...as for fishing the redtails. The redtails that I had where on the smaller side. I was using a 1/2 ounce slip sinker (rattling no-snag) with about a 7' snell and a charteuse hook. Nothing out of the ordinary, but here is the kicker. With the storms Fri. I was thinking that the fish may not be committing suicide out there. Past experience has told me that in situations like this I try to hook the redtails through the back, right behind the dorsal fin. BINGO... 4 out of the 5 fish fell to this method. Plus fishing real slow. You'd be going along and all you would feel was some extra weight on the line. That's about it. Talk to you guys later.

Thanks everyone for the fishing update on Ida. I have a place on little Ida bay and will be there Saturday - Wednesday of next week chasing smallies and large mouth. I'll report my success.
Smallie, Ghotierman or anyone else at the store. What size and color of Yamamoto Iklas do you have in stock? I'll be in on Saturday to restock. Look forward to seeing you.
Germy

Germy...The neighbor guy was out on Sunday morning fishing the North side of Stoney Point in about 27-30' of water with live bait rigs and night crawlers and caught I believe about 11 smallies (all released). I'm sure they would fall for a nice tube jig as well. Just a thought. Give us a report. I'll be heading up next week Thursday after work.

Germy,

Yamamoto Ika's it's the 92 sereies size wich is about 2.5". Rootbeer, and Green pumpkin are great colors.

------------------
Trophy Guides
Northeast Outfitters
Cory Putnam
320-808-7722 Cell
320-763-9598 Work