Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mnwild14

Red Lake first time

8 posts in this topic

This will be my first time out to red lake. Right now we are looking to come out next friday(13th). Any thoughts on if we will be able to drive out? Is there a recommend spot to go one at? Will the fishing pick up than? What type of jigs would you recommend? Sorry for all the questions. Have not done a lot of ice fishing, so in need of help.

And another one on the long list that doesn't
know how to fill out a PROFILE.
How are we suposed to heckel you if we do
not know where you are from or your interests.

PUTZ

------------------
just cross this line------

I got drove up twice last year. It's the best action, on ice, I've ever had.

Get a map of the cribs, get to one and work out away from there. Stay away from people. If you have a fish finder use it. Just pop holes until you mark.

Do the bait stores have maps of the cribs or where can you get one. Are they online anywhere?

the upper red lake assn has a web site where you can down load a lake map with depth structure and crib location w/coordinates. i don't know how to post a link, nor do i want to cut through the red tape it would take to post one, but it would be fairly easy to find by simply searching for upper red lake assn smile.gif have a great day!

------------------
keep your stick on the ice!---jigglestick---

every time i have been out there i have been skunked, no matter how many glow jigs or glow sticks or anything. finally got a vexilar, but we usually fish where the people are, or atleast try and get to the outskirts. there was a big pressure ridge last year and i guess u had to be right on it to catch em cuz we were like 5 ft off. who knows but red lake really doesn't like me.

------------------
Good luck sticking pigs this year!

Crowds are not indication of biting fish. Crowds are usually an indication of where the fish WERE biting. Try drilling a few holes and getting away from the crowd. You will have much better luck. Scott Steil

Both times I was up the nearest person was a minimum of 200 yards away.

Just have your holes puched before it gets too late. If you aren't into them after sundown move to your other holes.

My very first time there I was on top of them immeadiatly. Never moved once. Caught and released 60 of the biggest crappies I'd ever seen. Kept 5.

My second time I didn't find them until I went to my 4th option.

You don't have to drill 100 holes Just give youself the ability to move to at least 5 or 6 areas. Have the holes punched before dark.

I'll Be Back