• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Availability of Bait

I am planning on fishing out of Birchdale next Wednesday morning coming up from the
Iron Range. First time for me and I am starting to have trouble concentrating on daily tasks grin.gif .

Does anyone know where I can (for sure) find minnows along the way?

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Bob

------------------
Crank the Shank!

Whats up Dr B
Lucky bait just east of Baudette has all the minnow types you may desire. Usually generous scoops and a reasonable price. I have heard those spottail shiners have been the ticket. I am hoping to get out that way myself next week, hope the river opens up more by then and reaches 38 degrees or so. Got a group up from Fargo tomorrow and saturday and they want big pike so I'm stuck on the ice again! I will look for you if I'm up there wednesday, what boat you bringing up? I will be in a little grey 16' crestliner with 15hp yamaha, or if ramps allow 19' tracker targa, dual console, white gel coat, black/red graphics, merc 175 and merc kicker. Kinda bummin cause I can't get water flowing at my cabin till it warms up some more...Guess I will drive back and forth from Wannaska...Oh well, gotta do it!

Good luck to ya, hope you use up a whole roll of film on some hefty hens!

Regards....Fisky

Outdoors Adventure is next door, (West of the other bait shop)and is open at 5 a.m. and open late. Denny has a wide variety of bait, including emerald shiners $3.95 a scoop (3-4 dozen).

You might want to check them out.

Good luck on your trip to the Rainy River.

------------------
www.clementsonresort.com

Fisky and Sandee -

Thanks for the info. If I don't find anything else I will have to hit Baudette before I fish. I am coming from via Int. Falls and am hoping I will be able to get bait on my way to the landing.

Fisky - good to hear from you Bud! I will be fishing out of my 16' Lund w/ 25 hp Johnson - both are painted Camo Brown. I have to convert it from duck boat back to fishing boat this weekend. It still has the blind mounted in it and is full of decoys!!!

I'll keep my eye's peeled for ya. I'm driving a Maroon 91 F150 4X4 with a high rise aluminum topper. I will also have a couple of other grey hairs with me. This is only going to be a day shot and I have to drive home Wednesday evening - otherwise I would suggest we get together for brewskis grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif.

Lets pray that upper 40's weather gets here like they are predicting.

Thanks again folks,

Dr. Bob

------------------
Crank the Shank!

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY INFORMATION ABOUT THE BAIT SHOPS IN THE INTERNATIONAL FALLS AREA.

HOW ABOUT A RECENT FISHING REPORT FROM THE PELLAND AREA. SHOULD BE UP THERE SAT. THROUGH MONDAY. ANY INFO WOULD HELP.

Here is a report I received via email this morning.

When we were up to Intl Falls last week at this time, we looked and looked for Hardees. They have changed this particular "store" to Scooters. Another one in Detroit Lakes and Grand Forks area I understand. Hamburger joint that looks just like Hardees, but no Hardees signs anymore. Threw us off for finding the street to Shorewood access.

When the water started dropping last week when we were there the river did become more interesting to navigate and you did need to pay very close attention to the conditions and depths. We went over some 3ft. spots and did hit a rock in one location and a tree branch/stump in another. Not much damage thank goodness, but I have a smaller boat. A larger one may have been a different story. Big boats launching from Intl Falls need to be very cautious when water levels are down.

We went to Pelland area and west of there. Did Ok in a couple of areas. No big ones but plenty of 17-22" fish. This was when we would have had to go over shore ice at Pelland and decided it was easier to run from Intl Falls which was totally clear of any ice.

The fishing should only be getting better in the Pelland area.

Tight Lines,
Darren"

BRAD K. fish pelland thurs and fri. had to big of a boat to get in birchdale fishing was real spotty had to really work for the ones we got all were from 17 to 22 in we had three guys and caught 15 fish for the two days. i would go to birchdale and fish because it sounds like the ramp will be cleared on sat. possibly reports were alot better there!!!!!!! hope this helps ya out

Thanks Skippy37 -

Fortunatly I live a lot closer than that and only have to drive up HWY 53 from the Virginia area.

I was really hoping someone would know of a place in the Falls to pick up minnows. There must be a bait shop there with minnows cause people are fishing the River in that area too.

If not I'll have to put on a few extra miles and go to Baudette.

Conditions sure are looking up for the ramps smile.gif .

Thanks again - GOOD LUCK EVERYONE -

Dr. Bob

[This message has been edited by Dr. Bob (edited 04-05-2002).]

Try either Fisherman 218-283-9440 on Hwy 53 and Memorial or Rainy Lake One Stop 218-286-5100 on Hwy 11.

I looked up fishing bait/supplies on the internet directory. Give them a call.

Good luck.

------------------
www.clementsonresort.com