• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rainy Open?

Actually the river is looking better than we could have hoped for. It is opening smack down the middle all the way to the Manitou Rapids which is getting closer to our goal. About 8 miles - but then I would like to see shore to shore open water up river soon. You can see where it has skim ice with the latest cold weather but also it is opening.

Reported on this forum, there is enough ice at Birchdale to use an extention, so we have a lot to go through. Weather looks fairly good. This year I just cannot make a prediction on when you can go over shore ice or launch from trailers at Birchdale. frown.gif

We will check again and update.

------------------
www.clementsonresort.com

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandee

• gofishingtom

• Fallsguy

• Beckman

Over shore ice with small boats. I will know more later tonight when the guys come back from there fishing.

They do not clean that ramp, the county lets Mother Nature take care of it.

------------------
www.clementsonresort.com

Checked the river today. It is open almost a mile down from the Manitou Rapids. There is shore ice, not quite the shore to shore we like to see. This means it is 8 miles to reach the Birchdale ramp.

Warmer weather tomorrow than today, should increase the melt, can move anywhere from 1 mile to 5 miles a day, taking the weather and ice depth factored in. Overnight temperatures in the 20's is a plus.

We had very little ice at the end of February, but with the cold month of March ice was added, but how much?? Average depth at Birchdale is 18" that will go within a day or two once it's opened all the way to Franz Jevne.

We will update again either Wednesday or Thursday.

------------------
www.clementsonresort.com

The river has opened around the bend at Franz Jevne, can't see how far down. From Birchdale you cannot see any open water, although it almost looks like it is opening below the rapids. Can't tell you how far it opened from #161 to Jevne, no public river access.

Anglers out fishing both Jevne and Pelland today. Updates to follow.

No houses out at Birchdale today, portables all sitting on shore. River looks slushy from Clementson all the way up to Birchdale.

Think it will be open at Birchdale on Saturday?? Watch for updates.

------------------
www.clementsonresort.com

grin.gif - Open areas of water at Birchdale! I have posted some pictures - now when will it be OPEN?

Sunday?? over shore ice?? Monday?? The melt should continue with the predicted highs and lows. Tomorrow would be better . . .

One angler caught a "few" today out fishing. Waiting on 2 other groups to return.

------------------
www.clementsonresort.com

They are fishing out of Birchdale, going over shore ice to areas of open water. There was open water straight out from the ramp, however the winds coming up the river is moving the big chunks around. Anglers reporting good fishing.

We have posted more pictures on our web site.

------------------
www.clementsonresort.com

We are finally getting there arent we! Thanks for all the posts keeping us updated Sandee. One question though, are these guys wearing wet suits? Make it two questions, How do they get the boat back to shore? I would think the ice must be thin on the edge of open water makeing it hard to lift the boat back onto the ice. Again, thanks for all the pictures and posts on your websight.

No - no wet suits. What they do is gun it over the ice, to get the fron of the boat on ice, with a guy in the front of the boat that jumps out and they pull in onto the ice, back to shore.

It is surprising how deep the ice near the shore is compared to the ice on the river. There was a truck out there yesterday after we took our pictures.

Hmmm . . .

------------------
www.clementsonresort.com

Last year we were dropping the boat (1650 Pro-V) off the ice at Frontier. It was probably a 2' or more drop but we were able to get the truck out far enough. Could the ice be chopped back at Birchdale far enough to support the vehicles and do the same thing.

It all depends on the level of the river while it is melting now. It looks as though it has dropped 4' since Wednesday. Although the discharge is on the rise??

We have heard some say they will chip their way in??

All we can do it watch it and take some pictures as it is going out. Watch for another update this afternoon.

------------------
www.clementsonresort.com

we were launched out of pelland with 14 and 16 foot alumacrafts on the 28,29,and 30. We had to drag over shore ice- only bout 10 feet of it though. By the 30th the river had dropped by bout three feet so gettin them back up through the mud was fun. It was worth it though, the four of us caught 105 walleyes, mostly on the 29th. 13-18 inchers common. A lot of big boats drove down from the falls to bout a mile west of pelland to a 25 foot hole. Jig and minnow worked for us. Wind is cold! Had a blast though- commin back up from Elk River on the 13th and 14th- hopefully they'll be runnin!

River has an open line of water on the US side 2 miles West (past) Birchdale. The area is opening up more. Small boats still recommended, although a 17 1/2' with a 90hp motor got in and out - No Problems, ez they said. They caught 48 fish today. Biggest 25".

So there ya go . . .
Until tomorrow . . .

------------------
www.clementsonresort.com

No change in shore ice at Birchdale. The river is open about 3 1/2 miles past Birchdale, only that far to go to Frontier. It may be open for over shore ice at Frontier for this weekend if it continues to open at 1 1/2 miles per day.

The county can't open the ramp at Birchdale until the shore ice is gone. It is a safety factor for the operator of the equipment. Plus, if they opened the ramp only it would be more difficult to launch boats. At the end of the ramp you would hit a 3 foot wall of ice.

Weather channel says 29 tomorrow, Fargo station weather says 37 for a hi. We will see who is right. smile.gif

------------------
www.clementsonresort.com

Rick & Sandee - it was great to meet you at the Birchdale ramp on 4/3. Also a thank-you to "eskay" and Tom Stay. Eskay, we killed our rainbows and large shiners with borax, and then took Tom's advice and squirted some walleye attractant in the ziploc with them. Never slowed down the bite one bit.

Key to our success was giving the fish a large target - we used yellow twister tails on primarily 3/8 oz. orange/chartreuse whistler jigs. Bite was not as good with fatheads or small rainbows or small emerald shiners.

Finally caught what must have been a 10 lb. walleye - 29.5 inches long. Jigging up the side of a 20' hole - she hit it where most of the fish did - in about 14' - 16'. Most of the fish we kept for eating were river males.

Thanks again to all who offer their advice here!

Where are people with 17 and 18 foot boats launching??? We are coming up next monday, tuesday and wednesday and our boat is to heavy to go out over shore ice!!

Thanks Quicksilver, it was nice meeting you and some readers of our web site.

I have also heard that "the bigger" the better on the presentation in the spring produces more walleyes.

Mike #6 - I would suggest Pelland or Shorewood for a boat that size. Fishing has been reported good in that area at different times. We are know familiar with the area, but have heard reports other years when the river here mucks up.

mnbigfishhunter - Some are launching at Birchdale. I say it depends on how much insurance to you have and how much do you love your boat??

You might want to try the I-Falls ramps as well.

------------------
www.clementsonresort.com

River is almost open to Frontier for those of you who still are able to go over shore ice in small boats, you will have another ramp to use.

There is very, very little shore ice left at Birchdale, although the county has NOT cleaned the ramp. Another look tomorrow and they will decide to clean it or not. I think it is ready, but it's out of my control.

River temperature remains at 34 degrees with a very low river. This means the current is slow. I believe this is part of the reason why fishing is slow, plus the amount of traffic on the river.

International Falls is releasing the minimal amount of water and the Manitou Rapids is declining to a level of 2.66 down from 5.0 the end of February.

Little Fork also records lower levels over the last few days.

Biggest fish today was a 30" walleye and about a 50" sturgeon.

Reports are slow for some, ok for others and good for others. All depending on what your opinion is for a "good" day. It is not the best time yet, in my opinion. I think it's yet to come.

Wish I could go fishing!!

------------------
www.clementsonresort.com

[This message has been edited by Sandee (edited 04-07-2002).]

There is 4' of ice on the ramp at Birchdale, it will be a few days before it is cleaned off. There are launching boats of all sizes, if you have rollers on your trailer, you should be able to. We have pictures on the web site. Take a look and make your decision.

Frontier is open 1/4 to the West. You can go over 70' of shore ice. There were quite a few boats there today, only 3 launched from there, all others came down from Birchdale. So you have about 8 miles of open river now to fish.

Fishing is slow today, as reported by most anglers.

------------------
www.clementsonresort.com

Have you heard any fishing reports from the Pelland area? We're commin up this friday, and we did good there in March. Any info would be great.... Thanks for the updates Sandee.

Does anyone know if the Franz Jevne ramp is open? That is the area of the river I am most familiar with and would like to go up this Friday.

Thanks,

Jason

Matt - Everyone has been going out of Birchdale, with one group today out of Frontier. You could call the chamber of commerce in I-Falls for a fishing report. 800-325-5766

jmischel - Franz Jevne is open for over shore ice only. The county does not clean out that ramp. You could call and ask them if they have plans to open it. Call 218-278-6643.

------------------
www.clementsonresort.com

Sandee -

Thanks for the Franz Jevne info. Do you know about how much shore ice is left there? On a busy day at Birchdale, how long of a wait is it to launch boats?

Your web site updates have been fantastic but they sure interrupt the work day for my dad and I!

Thanks again,

Jason

I doubt there is much shore ice left with the river opening up so much.

On a real busy day it could be an hour or two to launch at Birchdale. Some have been able to within 1/2 hour depending on what time you get there.

Thanks for reading our web site, we have been told sometimes they are losing sleep if they don't get to read the report at night.

------------------
www.clementsonresort.com

sandee,
do you think the water will warm up enough by this weekend so better quanity and quality of fish will move up in to the birchdale area

I would like to get a temperature reading of the water, and have not been able to yet today. Fishing was "OK" at Birchdale, although Frontier is "smacking" the walleyes. One report of 175 fish today. Frontier is over shore ice only sized boats. I will be posting pictures on our web site soon of Frontier and Birchdale. Rick just left at 8:10 p.m. to get a picture of Birchdale due to some rumors floating around on the condition of the ramp.

smile.gif

------------------
www.clementsonresort.com

The ramp was cleaned by the county today at Birchdale. It took them 3-4 hours.

Frontier will not be cleaned. The shore ice is 30' and will not melt away fast enough for the county to clean it before Sunday night. They will keep an eye on it and we will.

Big boats for Birchdale - small boats over shore ice at Frontier.

smile.gif