Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
TUMBLEWEED

In-Between = Catfish??

TUMBLEWEED

The only catfishing I've ever done was in some ponds and lakes in Oklahoma.Mostly bank fishing and some trotline use.We were thinking of killing some time in between the better walleye/northern/crappie times with a shot for some cats.I know worms and cut bait
are what you use,but do we just pull into a spot and throw it on the bottom??I was thinking maybe throw it on the bottom,with a float bobber set a foot or so too deep so when the "kitty" comes to play,we can see the strike and set the hook??We will be on the Horseshoe chain,I see lots of cats in the surveys.Just need a little help for fishing for them from a boat.Thanks

GullGuide

One of the best ways that I have found on the shoe is to Put a chunk of cutbait on a jig and work the bottom just as you would for walleye. Fish the channel areas early on.
Good luck
>"////=<

The method Gullguide is referring to works best in River Channel areas and hard botton areas. If you were to fish the shallow mud, like this time of year, you will want to try the bobber approach, as the bait will sink to far into the mud if you do not. If you want to have some real fun try a jig and minnow, never know what you will be getting then, Northern, walleye, cat...all good fun. ScottS

------------------
ScottS
Dollage@aol.com

TUMBLEWEED

Thanx for the tips guys. We had a super weekend for cats this last weekend!! They were everywhere.Biggest was an easy 8 pounds.
They were so easy to catch,that it was just a blast to kill some time in between the walters. We practiced catch and release,so those "kittys" are still up there for next time. I did see some walleye anglers getting
ticked off when they got a cat on. (The ones I saw all were released safely without any harm.)I thought that was kinda exciting,getting a good cat on light line!!
If you got kids that want to go fishing,I'd say take em out on the Horseshoe chain and let em play with the "kittys". If everything goes well,the catfishing up there should get even better with some real trophy size fish
available.

andy j

I agree, I love to catch catfish. I would like to see more bigger fish though. I caught a catfish close to 12-15 lbs. last year and a few in the 6-8 lb. range. Lets here If anyone else had caught any big ones on the chain.

To tell you the truth I think that they are ruining the walleye fishing. I have fished the chain my whole live and it only seems to be getting worse since the DNR decided to start stocking cats. They claimed that the did this to reduce the number of bullheads but it is affecting the walleye pop. also. I use to go out and catch piles of walleye everyday, CPR of course. Now I have all I can just to get a limit. Some days better than others. Nothing worse than fishing for walleyes and having to fight off the cats all day, summer or winter! Just my opinion I hate cats. The worst thing is that no one or hardly anyone like to eat cats and throw them all back so this just makes them more abundant I fear that the day is coming when cats will rule the chain and the walleye reputation that has been given to this great body of water will be lost forever.