• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Does anyone know anything about South Turtle in Otter Tail county? Is it a good panfish lake?

Hey Gissert, How does it compare to North Turtle in relation to Crappies and Northerns? I noticed that access to North has been restricted again this year and I am looking for a lake to put a perm. house on with similar charateristics. Thanks for the help.

hey student what can you tell me about north turtle and if you are still looking to put you house out there I know someone that might be able to help you!!!!!

north turtle.....well, we caught a lot of decent northerns and a lot of real nice eatin crappies, we even mounted three crappies out that lake last winter that measures 17+. But the lake got crazy pressure from everyone and their mother. So i'm looking to find a new lake close to fergus with similar results.

I take it the access was open last year,or with the access closed will every one and the mother still be fishing there!!!I would like to find a good crappie lake am on a good Northern and sunfish lake but would like to find some crappies and walleyes

if you're looking for where to fish, your best bet is amongt all the houses on the north west side of the lake in about 10'-15' of water. If you get on the edge of some vegetation or at best a submerged tree, you're gonna nail 'em.

It's walleye pop. is weak, but the crappies are mighty fine. The scoop on last year is that there isn't a public access on the lake. Which means,in most years, you needed know someone to get on it legally. Well last year the water level came right up to a gravel road so it was real easy to gain access to the lake. This year the water is low, and the locals talked the township to put up no parking signs on the road.

Well my brother wife sisters has a place on the lake there, and they have been telling me to put my house out there and in talking to my brother his brother in law has let poeple use his access for a small fee how much i don't know but can find out for you if you want !!!

that would be great. Thanks. Are you from the Fergus area?

[This message has been edited by student (edited 12-03-2002).]

Hey Brett Schutz,I would be interested on getting on NT too. I started mainly spearing there about 5-6 years ago, when it was unreal spearing,and hardly anyone fished there, now it's not as good as it used to be. It's also a real pain to get on the lake, especially when the water isn't up. It's still fun to go out when the water is clear and spear the occasional 3-4 pounder.(nice smokers)

Student -

South Turtle is much clearer and deeper than North Turtle. I do the secchi disk readings on the lake, and in September I had readings of 19.5 and 22. The pike in S. Turtle tend to run smaller, and the crappies can be tough to find at times. Your best bet is in the area right out from the public access. You will see where to go, as a pretty good size village sets up there. Some dandy bass are often caught in December there as well. I don't like crowds, so I usually fish elsewhere. It is not too bad during the mid week, but on the weekends there tends to be a lot of activity.

I see where the township has put up signs along that gravel road along N. Turtle. Some folks have really abused the adjacent landowners land in years past, and the signs are a result of that. Once the ice is driveable with a truck, I would bet there will be people driving out from that area where the water is adjacent to the road right of way.

Hey student no i don't live up there i live in down in the city's but am up there all the time I take a month off from work to come up there and do nothing but ICE FISH!!SO some how we will have to find a way to met up and i can see if i can get you on that lake But you will have to show me where the fish are!!!

Whats up there student I'll be off from dec 7 until jan 3 my parents have a land right out side of Under wood on a lake witch is where i usually fish but the crippes are to small but it has some really big sunfish but you have to know were to find them!!!

Brett-
We'll have to get together and talk business sometime. You don't by chance know any Nelsons from Underwood, do you?

For some reason it rings a bell do they own a bunch of land on a lake right out side of underwood!!!because my dad work's with a guy who's uncle owns a hole bunch of land on the lake we are on and i think there last name is nelson and my dad has worked with the guy for like 30 years or so!!!

his first name is nate, they moved from underwood to fergus awhile back. his son and i are building a 6x10 to put out somewhere.

That cool will one why or the other we need hook up do you know where long lake is out side of under wood is I know there is a couple long lakes in the area!!!

NO i don't but if you are comeing from fergus and you go through under wood It's you first right after you go by the school and the name of the road you turn on is called GERMAN LAKE RD I think and you take that all the way until it comes to a T and you go left go down about 2 city blocks and its on your right hand side thats the best i can do I should be up there sunday but for sure monday so if you want to hook up let me know!!!!

I've got a family christmas party on sun. but we might be back in time to get some fishing in. You gonna be out in the morning or at night?

all be there untill i get bored so that will be a couple of day's if i could get my big fish house out I would stay all week or even longer so i hope we can drive on the lake soon!!!

i agree with driving, i hate lugging out all my shhhh. It's a real pain. Say....What you catch on this lake? And are they real hard to find?

Will i fish for any thing that will bite my dame line but for the most part northens and sunfish,put on the hole lake there is only 2 spots were you can catch fish if you are not on one of the spots you are wasting you time and trust me i have wasted a hole ton of time there! and when you can find the sunfish you can clean house and not small one!

well, it sounds like you've spent a little time on this lake. Is it a very popular lake to fish. Considering how close it is to Underwood, I wouldn't be suprised if it was.

nope not many people fish it and that's what i like about it maybe 5 house's on it tops all year and in the summer NO one at all fish's it.maybe opener one or two boats that's it The lake used to have huge walleys in it but i guess a few years ago it had a winter kill and took them all out it was real same

I was looking at the stats for it, and it seems to have a few decent sized ones left in it, but the survey could just be old.

OH trust me there's big one in there I think i lost the biggest fish I have ever almost cought last weekend a big northern it didn't look like it was going to fit through the hole me and my brother just about SH** are self's and then it broke the hook off right at the top of the hole and i was pissed I would have thrown it back any way but dam!!!