Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
hunt4food

Middle Leaf Lake in Henning

hunt4food

Does anyone here ever fish Middle Leaf lake? I am packing up the family and heading to a small resort there on the 4th. of July week. This will be my second trip there. We did ok last time, but I am looking for some local tips and expertise if anyone has any to offer. I might have a couple of extra Rolling Rock Beers to trade for good tips when I get up there smile.gif

hunt4food

Oh come on now gang! Somebody must fish this lake once in awhile???

fishermatt

Hunt4,

Don't mean to get you excited by replying as I've only fished the lake for bluegills in winter, but I felt guilty that you're not getting any replies! People I've talked to fish this lake in the early morning or late evening. I think the weedline grows pretty deep and this lake is clear, so you may need to get into 20-30 feet to get at the 'eyes. Try a lindy rig with a 6-8 foot long 4 pound test leader, or slip bobbers at night.

hunt4food

thanks! I knew somebody would feel guilty and at least throw me a bone. Anybody else out there want to help me and my 4 year old daughter with some tips smile.gif

Jarrod32

You might try a spinnerbait just outside the weedlines along the east and southeast side for northerns.

I fish Middle Leaf all the time. I was just out there yesterday. The lake is low and the water the clearest I have seen it in 20 years. Middle always is a good sunfish lake, lots of northerns and many bass too. Not much for walleyes, but the few you do catch are usually nice. Any where along the weedline is usually a good place to start.
good luck and have a good vacation

hunt4food

Thanks ottertailfamily! I am happy to catch any species. I did manage to catch a couple of eyes while I was there a couple of years ago. I fished way on the other end (East?) from the resort. I will spend more time on the edges this year. don't forget to stop by for a cold one if you are in the area on the 4th. I will be the closest cabin to the bait store and I might just have an extra beer or two to share with a fellow forum follower smile.gif

i fish middle quite a bit, great gills, lots of hammerhandles, i caught a nice 20 inch walleye a few weeks ago on a jig and powertail! go figure i was fishin for pike, good crappies but probably a little hard right now who knows?? i seem to have good luck working the weed lines with a jig and minnow for notherns, rapalas are a good choice to as well as other spinners and etc.
it seems that late afternoon is the better time 3pm and on range!! GOOD LUCK!!!

hunt4food

Thanks Pirate! You are also welcome to stop by for a "cold one" if you are in the neighborhood. If I keep this up I might need to think about buying a keg smile.gif

My parents live on West Leaf, so I get over to Middle every now and again. Also, I talk to Tim, the owner of Middle Leaf Resort, all the time.

When I go on middle, it usually to fish bass, which it has good numbers of, and there usually larger. My favorite spots are all on the south side.
Where the creek runs in from west leaf diretly across the lake from the resort is a good spot for numbers and size. I've caught some large fish there in the shllower water all the way out to twenty-some feet using soft plastics and crankbaits on the deeper edge.
Also, there is a some canal-type structures in the southeast corner of the lake. It's an area that is cut out of the cattials, and it's pretty deep back there, although it doesn't seem like it should. Soft plastics casted right up next to the tails can be very good.
Another good spot is the reed bed behind the large point that sticks out in the middle of the lake. The front edge, using buzzbaits and spinnerbaits, and the back edge cattials near the point, using soft plastics have both produced big fish in the summer for me.

I hope this helps.

PS
If your pulling your own boat up there think about fish East and West Leafs' as well. East is a Crappie factory, and West just produces a lot of fish of all species, and its twice the size of middle or east.

hunt4food

Thanks crankbaitguy! That's the kind of detail I was really fishing for! I am pulling my boat up there. I will take your advice on the East Leaf. I prefer crappies over most other species. I am bringing up the fry daddy and would like to have one meal of fish while I am there. I am leaving home at 6:00AM tomorrow and plan to be there by 10:00. Stop by for a cold one and say hello if you would like. I am sure Tim and I will be having one! Ps..my name is Tim also.