• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Does anyone here ever fish Middle Leaf lake? I am packing up the family and heading to a small resort there on the 4th. of July week. This will be my second trip there. We did ok last time, but I am looking for some local tips and expertise if anyone has any to offer. I might have a couple of extra Rolling Rock Beers to trade for good tips when I get up there smile.gif

Oh come on now gang! Somebody must fish this lake once in awhile???

Hunt4,

Don't mean to get you excited by replying as I've only fished the lake for bluegills in winter, but I felt guilty that you're not getting any replies! People I've talked to fish this lake in the early morning or late evening. I think the weedline grows pretty deep and this lake is clear, so you may need to get into 20-30 feet to get at the 'eyes. Try a lindy rig with a 6-8 foot long 4 pound test leader, or slip bobbers at night.

thanks! I knew somebody would feel guilty and at least throw me a bone. Anybody else out there want to help me and my 4 year old daughter with some tips smile.gif

You might try a spinnerbait just outside the weedlines along the east and southeast side for northerns.

I fish Middle Leaf all the time. I was just out there yesterday. The lake is low and the water the clearest I have seen it in 20 years. Middle always is a good sunfish lake, lots of northerns and many bass too. Not much for walleyes, but the few you do catch are usually nice. Any where along the weedline is usually a good place to start.
good luck and have a good vacation

Thanks ottertailfamily! I am happy to catch any species. I did manage to catch a couple of eyes while I was there a couple of years ago. I fished way on the other end (East?) from the resort. I will spend more time on the edges this year. don't forget to stop by for a cold one if you are in the area on the 4th. I will be the closest cabin to the bait store and I might just have an extra beer or two to share with a fellow forum follower smile.gif

i fish middle quite a bit, great gills, lots of hammerhandles, i caught a nice 20 inch walleye a few weeks ago on a jig and powertail! go figure i was fishin for pike, good crappies but probably a little hard right now who knows?? i seem to have good luck working the weed lines with a jig and minnow for notherns, rapalas are a good choice to as well as other spinners and etc.
it seems that late afternoon is the better time 3pm and on range!! GOOD LUCK!!!

Thanks Pirate! You are also welcome to stop by for a "cold one" if you are in the neighborhood. If I keep this up I might need to think about buying a keg smile.gif

• 3 weeks later...

My parents live on West Leaf, so I get over to Middle every now and again. Also, I talk to Tim, the owner of Middle Leaf Resort, all the time.

When I go on middle, it usually to fish bass, which it has good numbers of, and there usually larger. My favorite spots are all on the south side.
Where the creek runs in from west leaf diretly across the lake from the resort is a good spot for numbers and size. I've caught some large fish there in the shllower water all the way out to twenty-some feet using soft plastics and crankbaits on the deeper edge.
Also, there is a some canal-type structures in the southeast corner of the lake. It's an area that is cut out of the cattials, and it's pretty deep back there, although it doesn't seem like it should. Soft plastics casted right up next to the tails can be very good.
Another good spot is the reed bed behind the large point that sticks out in the middle of the lake. The front edge, using buzzbaits and spinnerbaits, and the back edge cattials near the point, using soft plastics have both produced big fish in the summer for me.

I hope this helps.

PS
If your pulling your own boat up there think about fish East and West Leafs' as well. East is a Crappie factory, and West just produces a lot of fish of all species, and its twice the size of middle or east.

Thanks crankbaitguy! That's the kind of detail I was really fishing for! I am pulling my boat up there. I will take your advice on the East Leaf. I prefer crappies over most other species. I am bringing up the fry daddy and would like to have one meal of fish while I am there. I am leaving home at 6:00AM tomorrow and plan to be there by 10:00. Stop by for a cold one and say hello if you would like. I am sure Tim and I will be having one! Ps..my name is Tim also.